Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing the kitchen: dried beans, rice, barley, etc...

Default Importing the kitchen: dried beans, rice, barley, etc...

I can't find these on MAF lists or in a search of the forum.

I'm packing the kitchen. Do I have to throw away all my specialty rice, dried beams, and grains such as barley, cracked wheat, quinoa, rye, etc...? Or may I just leave them in the jars I keep them in and pack them as "staples" or "dried food" or what?

Thanks for your help.

Nathan

PS I just found a case of really nice Belgian beer in the wine closet!

Pantry items are fine, so long as you omit items on MAF's prohibited items list. Dried beans and grains should be OK.

It's best if you pack all of it into one or two boxes rather than spread across many boxes. MAF inspections are more likely when food is in a box, and your inspection fee goes up as they inspect more boxes.

You need to know EXACTLY what's inside; 'staples' will be considered an inadequate description on its own. It is possible to avoid MAF inspection (we did) but to do so you need to be able to answer every question they might ask with confidence, and detailed inventory helps with that.

Ah, quinoa! We should share a meal when we arrive in NZ!

When crossing the border into Canada for a backpacking trip many years ago, customs came across a jar of teff and disappeared with it for a long while...and came back empty handed.

If in doubt (and you can get it in NZ) leave it behind - they're heavy and some of these things run only a dollar or two a pound - is it really worth shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by migratory birds View Post
    ... - is it really worth shipping?
    I don't see a point in shipping empty storage jars if I'm allowed to ship them with the contents....which I'll end up buying anyway. I like a well stocked kitchen!

Quote Originally Posted by barryp View Post
    ... - pack all of it into one or two boxes rather than spread across many boxes. ...
    Yes! And it's so much easier to unpack and put away if it's packed with some organization.

Thanks!

I asked about dried pulses...MAF said no....there is a very tiny remote possibility these things could grow...
    Also there is risk that these dried goods could be contaminated with weevels or other insects/eggs etc.

Also not allowed 'whole' herbs/spices e.g. whole nutmeg/cardamon pods etc or any seeds. But you can bring any of these if they are ground product and in schwartz jars or similar.....I guess in these quantities risk is acceptable. I brought over all my ground spices...would have cost a fortune to replace.

Beans and stuff are a definite no-no. They took our juggling balls at Auckland airport because they were stuffed with beans!

Where can I find the site for MAF - to see whats allowed and whats a no-no

Thanks
    Jayne

OH has spent 5 hours so far today emptying our kitchen cupboards, she has binned everything, all my herbs and spices, any dried products, all tinned stuff has been given away - what am I having for tea??

I guess a takeaway is in order

Quote Originally Posted by Ian and Jayne View Post
    Where can I find the site for MAF - to see whats allowed and whats a no-no

Thanks
    Jayne

Here we go. Its a bit confusing so take your time

http://www.maf.govt.nz/quarantine/index.htm

Dave and Caroline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast