Thread: Cholesterol

Question Cholesterol

Hey,

Just had the request from my CO to get extra bloods grrrr. That didn't make me many friends at the doctors as I have pretty deep veins

So My Cholesterol comes back at 5.0 HH
    Triglyceride 1.2
    HDL 1.21
    LDL 3.2 HH
    Chol/HDL Ratio 4.1

Is this a deal breaker? My BMI is 29. BP normal and although the doc kindly diagnosed a murmur the echocardiogram was normal.

Am I worrying unecessarily?

This shouldn't be a deal-breaker if you have high cholestrol. I am not sure how to read your levels but it seems you have high LDL (the bad cholestrol) and a high BMI.

I used to have high cholestrol and my triglycerides was way off the charts but the drug (fenofibrate) knocked it off and with a sensible diet, my levels have been okay since.

I am sure if you exercise, take a cholestrol-reducing drug like statin, and a low-fat diet the levels will come down enormously. The good thing is- high cholestrol is very reversible and easy to get down to normal levels.

I am sure it won't be an issue but it requires some monitoring and onus on you (how committed you are to the exercise and diet) to reduce it- and most probably result in a minor delay with the MA in Wellington rather than a permanent NO.

Cheers Batgirl,

The nurses advised they wouldn't even think about medicating at 5.0m/mol and the triglycerides are low. On top of my regular exercise (polo and surfing being my summer sports) I have joined a gym so I'm now exercising every day.

My biggest issue is turning down the home baking of my North Canterbury farmers....... surely that's just rude?! But I guess it has to be done.

I guess I'll just wait and see what the MA have to say!

Cheers

Liz

Is it wrong to check the online status of your application daily? I'm not due back to hear for a month but the date keeps changing on the medicals received tab......

Quote Originally Posted by LizM View Post
    Is it wrong to check the online status of your application daily? I'm not due back to hear for a month but the date keeps changing on the medicals received tab......
    Once a day is not even worth mentioning. When you start thinking: "Sure it's 8PM in New Zealand, but maybe somebody in London is updating my status," then you have a problem.

Awesome.

Good to hear!

Cheers