Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baggage allowance 23kg!!!!

Default Baggage allowance 23kg!!!!

Yep thats right we are having to make the move on 23kg each, any idea's how to increase this without having to pay???

We are using PSS removals to send baggage over by ship. It works out very reasonable. Shop around and get a few quotes.

Who are you flying with? When booking our flights Korean Air was coming up cheap but our travel agent told us they were very expensive for excess baggage, it was going to cost hundreds more just to take an extra case. Our agent advised us to go with Air New Zealand. The ticket was more but they only charge £35 to take a second case.

Am going to be taking a couple of cases each and currently have a pile of boxes from PSS which are being filled!

We are flying BA/Qantas, just seems a little stingy 23kg, I have taken more to Blackpool on a dirty weekend
    Its no big deal I will prob manage but thought I would ask

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Yep thats right we are having to make the move on 23kg each, any idea's how to increase this without having to pay???
    I'm afraid it's too late now you're booked. Memo to anyone reading this later - check what your entitlements are as well as the price when looking for flights.

Was it Singapore Airlines that gave you a bigger allowance if you could evidence that you are emigrating (40kg total each)? Sure I read that about one of the airlines.

Sorry Frodo, I know that doesn't help you now, but for others it might - as JandM suggests. Though it might still be worth you getting in touch with the airline direct to tell them you're emigrating and will they allow you any extra baggage?

Actually, here's an old thread from here on the subject:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-7875.html

There's a few more on 'other' forums about it through google also that suggest the same might be the case for Emirates, and Air NZ.

Here's another more recent thread from here:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-30763.html
    where Cumbriana states:
    Cumbriana12th August 2010, 12:31 PM
    I'm heading off in September via US with a BA/Quantas flight combo that gives me 2*23kg (from the Quantas flights) which I'm assured by BA people is extended to the BA leg (Heathrow > Miami - I'm going the scenic route!).

This thread had some discussion of prices and baggage allowances.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30254

Looks like it might be worth the call!

Good luck anyway.

Sadly as mentioned it's a bit late now. When considring prices / routes then for the one way flight additional baggage needs to be considered with the ticket price and compare the totals. Air NZ may not be the cheapest, nor offer the most inclusive baggage (no upgrade for first flight to ctivate like emirates), but additional 23kg bags are dirt cheap.

So you've two choices now. One is to pay the baggage, the other is to send it by courier. I used Parcels2go.co.uk for an archive box up to 25kg for £100. See the thread on here to avoid paying DHL a fortune for customs clearance at this end. Not sure about other couriers as to how bad they are for trying to fleece you, but with a bit of work then you can avoid most of the charges.

We are flying BA/Qantas, just seems a little stingy 23kg, I have taken more to Blackpool on a dirty weekend
    Its no big deal I will prob manage but thought I would ask
    Then perhaps you might reconsider your definition of 'dirty weekend'.

Quote Originally Posted by gorstsmit View Post
    Was it Singapore Airlines that gave you a bigger allowance if you could evidence that you are emigrating (40kg total each)? Sure I read that about one of the airlines.

Yes that's correct. Singapore Airlines on request usually agrees to allow upto 40 kg of luggage (2 pieces) if you are emigrating.

Not sure if you are flying with kids but we just returned from NZ with 2 bags, 1 between 23-32 kgs and they did not charge us as we had forgotten that we could check in a bag for each of the kids. So we threw in a carry on bag as check in (at the ticket guy's suggestion) and the weight allowance 'evened out' and we did not get charged. He told us you can take up to 32 kgs but get charged over 23 kgs.

ps We flew with Air NZ.

I'd suggest you check you hand luggage rules. We flew with Air Malaysia who enforced the weight of the suitaces very strictly. However, we noted that we could basically take anything as hand luggage as long as we could carry it .... so we all had the maximum size of hand luggage bag, an addtional lap top bag was allowed, as were 2 brief cases, I took my largest handbag, we carried our coats as hand luggage too. So although we were gob smacked at the suitcase weight, we got everything we wanted on the plane

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast