Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rate these Christchurch areas..

Default rate these Christchurch areas..

Just wondering what you think of these areas, which are good or bad? which are good for schools and safe recreation for kids?

1, Darfield

2, Oxford

3, Cashmere Hills

4, Banks peninsular

5, Kaiapoi

You need one of those poll thingies - but don't know how you do it. Makes it easier for people to respond and its anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1234564 View Post
    Just wondering what you think of these areas, which are good or bad? which are good for schools and safe recreation for kids?

1, Darfield

2, Oxford

3, Cashmere Hills

4, Banks peninsular

5, Kaiapoi
    Darfield and Oxford - fairly rural communities, but growing. Haven't heard anything bad about the schools there. I would say they still have the small community spirit about them. You would be looking at a long commute into Chch though, if thats were you will be working.

Cashmere Hills - In Christchurch, probably considered on of the better suburbs to live in. Access to good schools. Somerfield primary and Cashmere High both good. Someone will correct me, but I think children have to attend an intermediate school for years 8 and 9?

Banks Penisular - Don't know, sorry

Kaiapoi - Not bad - strikes me as a bit "hooney" though (no offence intended, just my opinion ) Quite close to the motorway, and I haven't heard good things about Kaiapoi High School. On the upside, depending on whereabouts its anything from a 30-40 mins commute.

HTH

Debs

Hi

havent posted in ages but we live in Oxford and used to live in essex so thought I would!!

we love it in Oxford we started out on a 40 acre block 6 kms outside and had a good time learning about livestock ect but as kids have got a bit older 14,13 and 10 they need to be nr their friends so we have bought a house in the township within walking distance of the school where I work as well as the chldren attending its an area school so they can go from 5 - 18 if they want to, its very different from UK school and takes some getting used to, some better some worse!!

Andy commutes to central chc every day and finds it an easy enough journey, Cam plays soccer and cricket locally and there is a new pool, we have some new shops opening and lovely cafes.

It def has a real community feel to it and everyone we have come across has been very friendly and helpful.

Personally I don;t like Kaipoi !!

Hope this has been of some help - any more questions just ask.

Where abouts in Essex are you?

Lisa

Good thread I'd generally be interested in towns outside CHC but within commute distance
    Thanks
    Karen

darfield has a great wee high school, with lots of options for the kids...they really strive to give them opportunities to do a wide range of subjects (ive heard this from aquaintances who have been on teacher placement there and people that went there etc so not my actual experience or anything). my family own a house out there (bought it to keep a bolthole down here 'just in case') and theyve had absolutely no problem keeping it tenanted.
    its becoming a sought after area...i have extended family that live and work in the area and they enjoy living there..

cant comment on oxford really.

cashmere hills is kinda swanky...sections on houses never seemed that big at the houses i visited...its a nice area though.. personally i think there are nicer areas in christchurch to live...but thats just me.

others i cant comment on either.

We live just outside Darfield and have done for 2 yrs. It's a great wee township, has everything you need (doctors/dentist/wee supermarket/butcher/post office/beauty salon/hairdresser/library/schools/open spaces/cafes/stationers/garages/bottle store/fish and chip shop/pharmacy/estate agents/garden centre/churches/council office/clothes shop/ski hire base/skate park/recreation grounds & centre/hardware store/art gallery/auto repairs/drapery/bakery/pubs/great community and townsfolk) 45 mins easy commute in to Chch - great if working near airport or in the Riccarton areas) v. easy commute compared to traffic coming in from south and north - no traffic to speak of until you hit outskirts of Riccarton.

Very easy access to skiing - kids have lessons from school as part of sports ed.

Darfield is growing at a rate of knots. New houses are springing up everywhere but on good sized sections. Facilities are growing and the high school has a very good reputation (along with the bakery!) and is becoming a popular place for buyers as the two areas a bit closer to Chch, Kirwee and West Melton, continue to rise in price, and they were already expensive! I don't think either Kirwee or West Melton have high schools.... lots of lifestyle blocks there.

HTH
    Moorf

Hi,
    I find Cashmere hills not very convenient if you have kids: it is too hilly, they can`t ride their bike to school or go anywhere by themselves when they are still young and the gardens are usually not practical either. However, Cashmere flat is nice, very green , good access to plenty of playgrounds and to a great library, swimming pool etc.. Schools are very good but they have a "in zone only" policy and they are very strict on this. I always say that St Martins is really nice too, quiet and so close to the hills, way cheaper than Cashmere (houses are too flash for my taste in Cashmere). Beckenham and around the Heathcote river is lovely, that`s where we live. Safe for the kids to bike around etc.. on their own and it is a 5 min cycle to town and 15 min (car) to the beach. Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    I don't think either Kirwee or West Melton have high schools....
    HTH
    Moorf
    Kirwee children go to Darfield high school as well as half of West Melton, depend on the zone areas while another half of West Melton go to Hornby high school, so it is case of you need to research which zone of West Melton to live if you want your child go to better school which is Darfield high school rather than Hornby high school in chch....

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa View Post
    so it is case of you need to research which zone of West Melton to live if you want your child go to better school which is Darfield high school rather than Hornby high school in chch....
    Are you sure about this? I understood that West Melton was split between Darfield High and Lincoln High. These schools are both in the same local government area as West Melton (Selwyn District) as opposed to Hornby which, as you say, is in Christchurch and doesn't enjoy a very good reputation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast