Thread: Good news - but question! Is this normal?

Default Good news - but question! Is this normal?

So I've just been offered a job. Woohoo!!! Its decent money for NZ but characteristically less than what I would be paid here. But that's OK. However, they sent the contract yesterday but only have given me until Tuesday to sign. We are happy but making the move is a big commitment when all is said and done. Is only a few days to sign normal in NZ? I guess they are thinking she waited so long and was asking for the contract, why wait now?

Maybe the question should be what is holding you back from signing by Tuesday? Is it a job you want? Are you interested in the job? What is holding you back? It is 4 days to make a decision, that isn't too bad in my humble opinion.
    Congrats on the job that is wonderful news just the same. And good luck with your decision.

Well, I've been talking to other people in New Zealand, albeit not in my preferred Wellington. Would be nice to have an option.

It is a good job, in Wellington, for decent NZ pay. However the pay here in NY for a similar job is about 3x more.

That is the conundrum. Our reasons for moving to NZ are about the lifestyle, and letting my husband get back to his roots. It is about my boys getting to spend more time with their Grandparents, about getting out of the rat race in CA and the adventure of it all. I totally get the money issue, that is a big stress for us. If we were smart we'd stay here. We probably will make more money in the US then in NZ, but I want this opportunity for us. But either way, look at it this way you have a job offer and that is fabulous. I did ask my husband if it was normal to have such a quick turnaround on the contract and his opinion (being a kiwi) was that he thought it was. He feels like once Kiwi's make a decision they want to move forward. Good luck either way.

Quote Originally Posted by dede View Post
    ...the pay here in NY for a similar job is about 3x more...
    Not sure what industry sector you're in, but that seems a bit low, TBH. If it's in line with industry norms, and you can make the $ work, then don't worry about it. If, however, you've been offered a salary much less than you could have expected, you can always counter -- no employer is going to be happy to recruit someone from halfway around the world, only to have them dissatisfied almost immediately after they arrive. If the employer is picking up relocation costs, even partially, then that will inevitably affect the salary they will offer. Note that such costs must usually be refunded to the employer if you leave within a given timeframe, so that may limit your mobility for a while after you arrive.

I guess it depends on your circumstances and priorities. Do you need to make a big change and seize the opportunity? Are you looking for the "right" opportunity, but your gut tells you this isn't it?

Follow your gut--and do your research. Is it a salary that you would be able to live on as you wish?