Thread: Pay negotiations

Default Pay negotiations

As I mentioned in a previous thread I am expecting a job offer in a couple of days, and I wanted to know whether it is customary/expected to negotiate pay in NZ or whether it is frowned upon.

This is the state sector - working for the Department of Internal Affairs.

Even if they offered it me at the very bottom of the scale it would be still be a decent pay rise from the UK.
    When I applied I was asked about my salary expectations and as anywhere on the scale would have been fine I picked a figure a little above the bottom so as not to appear desperate but also not too greedy. If they offer me what I said I expected I can't really negotiate on that can I? If they offer lower would I be ok asking for what I said I expected?

I hate negotiating for things like this - I did it for my current job in the UK and it was horrid to do (although I did get more than they offered).

Advice greatly appreciated!

I think it is expected in NZ that you will negotiate pay/conditions. There may be a collective employment agreement (MECA) negotiated by the union (is for doctors, nurses, teachers etc) that sets out expected entry points (based on experience, qualifications etc) into pay scales. If there is, they are supposed to tell you about it and ask if you want it (don't know if there is a MECA for more senior management positions). They may not have that much leeway, depending (but it never hurts to ask). As I am sure you are aware, the starting point on the salary scale is the most important as it is likely to determine further advances etc.

Even if they offer you exactly your stated salary expectation, and you think it would be too cheeky to negotiate salary further, you can ask about moving expenses etc. I got a reasonable portion of the cost of moving my family/possessions UK->NZ and an accomodation/car hire cash allowance for 4 weeks with minimal negotiation (as I'm not a great negotiator). They offered exactly what I had thought I would end up with for salary and the union told me that was a good offer for this particular district health board. However that was in a slightly easier financial climate so I don't know what they are doing now...

I think it is reasonable to mention that there is another offer on the table when negotiating - you can tell the DIA that the DIA job is your preferred choice and you really want to take it but it would help if they can offer ...[a bit more].....

Quote Originally Posted by alldone View Post

I think it is reasonable to mention that there is another offer on the table when negotiating - you can tell the DIA that the DIA job is your preferred choice and you really want to take it but it would help if they can offer ...[a bit more].....
    Personally I would not recommend this as with my experience in NZ , employer hate if you negotiate saying you have another higher offer.
    I would rather suggest asking few more perks and benefits/extra leaves etc. or try requesting extra salary by giving facts on rising cost of living etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauralocks View Post
    If they offer me what I said I expected I can't really negotiate on that can I? If they offer lower would I be ok asking for what I said I expected?

I hate negotiating for things like this - I did it for my current job in the UK and it was horrid to do (although I did get more than they offered).

Advice greatly appreciated!
    If you have already mentioned about your expectations on salary and your prospective employer agreed on it then I'd say just stick to your line. In case the offer is lower than what you are expecting then there's no harm in negotiating.

In my previous 2 jobs over here, I negotiated quite a bit on salary & benefits and was lucky to get my way. In my personal opinion, I'd not want to miss out on something just because I didn't ask

All the best !!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Public sector pays pretty well here but the salary bands are strictly adhered to. There are guidelines in place to direct managers what to offer, based on their confidence in your ability to do the job. The pay scales typically have a mid-point that is considered 100% and you will generally not be offered above this as a starting point. Many will offer you below that as you're an unknown quantity, but also to ensure that there is room for growth in your annual performance reviews (as the ranges aren't reviewed annually but your salary is).

To demonstrate this. If the salary range is $60k-$80k, the 100% point is $70k and that is likely to be the maximum offered. Having said this, I was offered 108% of band when I joined my organisation. Then I got restructured, promoted and put on 100% of a much higher salary band!