Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mexican food, your favorite? Welly and Auckland

Default Mexican food, your favorite? Welly and Auckland

I know this has probably been resolved before, but I wanted to know where you guys go for Mexican food in Wellington or Auckland (interviews in both cities).
    I'm from the SF Bay Area and have Mexican family, so authenticity and quality are very important!

I ask because I have been walking around Wellington, and there seems to be a lot of Mexican food places. I went to Flying Burrito Brothers on Cuba, and have to say, I was a little disappointed. It was good, but not really Mexican. (tortilla chips were kinda weird, chicken tacos had orange slices and parsley garnish?)

So does anyone have recommendations for:
    A) Simple Taquerias - Al Pastor, Al Carbon, Flautas, etc
    B) Traditional dishes - Mole, Tamales, Tortilla soup, etc

Thanks!

I'm from the SF Bay Area and have Mexican family, so authenticity and quality are very important!
    From what I've seen said on the threads before, in that case, steer well clear of Mexican restaurants in NZ.

The mexican food you're going to get here is going to be as good as the fish and chips I was able to get in the US. Best start changing your expectations now.

I lived in Phoenix for a few years and enjoyed the mexican food. We haven't tried any mexican restaurants in Wellington since we returned, but when we do, I won't be expecting a whole lot, but will take what I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    From what I've seen said on the threads before, in that case, steer well clear of Mexican restaurants in NZ.
    Please don't let the lovely people at La Boca Loca in Miramar hear you say that , it is a great little restaurant and always very busy. I don't have anything to measure it by as I have never been to Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You will be able to cook anything you remember better than you can buy in a restaurant here.

Mexican restaurants in NZ tend to serve either 1) Chipotle/Baja Fresh sort of fare. It's not awful, but not really Mexican; you will be thinking: this isn't great, and why is lunch $18? 2) A sort of Sonoran style Mexican food, that might be comperable to something your would get when taking a road trip through Ohio.

I confess, I've kind of given up on finding a decent Mexican restaurant. I have heard people say "_____ is great" so many times (like in the post above), that I am no longer taking recommendations from anyone who has not lived/worked in the Mission.

PS: I have to disagree about the Fish and Chips in the US. There is, of course no comparisons with takeaway type places, but many fish/seafood restaurants in the US serve very good higher end stuff. It may have been more difficult to find in Phoenix, as the nearest ocean is not terribly close.

About your PS - but do you have the feel of what a Brit or a NZer would be expecting as 'fish and chips' (and they can be slightly different from one another)? It's not just some fish and some chips on the same plate, however high end and beautifully done. If it hasn't got the certain 'feel', it won't hit the spot, any more than quite nice food done from a Mexican recipe but not by a down-home cook will do the trick for you guys who know that particular real thing!

Ah, thanks for the input! I will try out La Boca Loca to see how it fares.
    It is at least good to know that there isn't a lack of fresh produce and avocados, whipping up some carnitas is near second-nature for me.
    I even had a very serious and concerned talk with a friend back home before I left which, in summary, went something like this:

"But what will you do if they don't grow avocados?"
    *pause*
    "Oh god, I hadn't thought about that yet!"

#californiansneedavocadostolive

Sure you can get avocados, you just need to remortgage the house to buy any.

Or grow them.

Most produce in NZ is seasonally price adjusted. Avocados are available cheaply (50 to 70 cents) here for about 6 months a year. They are more expensive for a month or two on either side of that; and there are a few months a year where either you just can't get them (in Hawke's Bay) or they are $5 each (in Auckland). You will get used to it after the first year, then you will have overseas visitors, and you will think they are insane for paying $7 for a tiny bunch of asparagus.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Sure you can get avocados, you just need to remortgage the house to buy any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast