Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is New Zealand really as bad as they say?

Default Is New Zealand really as bad as they say?

People are attracted to New Zealand by images of clear blue skies, fantastic scenery, friendly and honest people, low crime and low living costs. However, is this really the case? I've been speaking to people who have moved there and they have told me they feel almost lied to by the government of New Zealand, and by some New Zealanders. They've told me that the country, relatively speaking, is poor and a lot of it is in a state of disrepair. The wages are relatively low, and the living costs are as high as anywhere. Also, they've told me the crime rate is appalling, it only has a population of 4 million, and yet the violent crime rate per capita is higher than Britain, and also they have a lot of organised gang problem. I'm told you've gotta watch yourself more than average when you go out, and at night in urban areas, it's not advisable to go out alone at all - I'm not saying that that's different elsewhere, but it's a contradictions of what the New Zealand government try to portray to attract new immigrants, and also, a lot of New Zealanders are in denial about the state of their country and rant and rave about it. Also, while a minor dissatisfaction, I'm told the weather is not nearly as good as it's made out to be. British people have told me that the weather patterns in New Zealand seem identical to the UK, rain, then sun, then overcast, then rain, then sun in the summer all in one day, and not much warmer than the British summer (20-25C, occasionally pushing into 30C), and cold, grey and wet winters, which are about 10-15C at best on the North Island, and 5-10C on the South Island.

A lot of people seem to be going to New Zealand with the vision of heaven on earth in their minds, and discover it's worse than where they've come from, but can't raise the funds to get back due to the low wages so they're just doing their time in New Zealand until they are granted New Zealand citizenship, and can get out to Australia. Apparently, the New Zealanders with any sense/education have already done so.

This is a collection of what I've been told by people I've spoken to who have moved to New Zealand, of course, some like it more than others, but pretty much all of them said it didn't live up to the hype.

So, is New Zealand all doom and gloom like so many people make out, or does it actually have real appeal?

Does anything live up to the hype? Nowhere is perfect.

I'm confused by your post, your location says you are in New Zealand whilst you imply that you don't know what it is like here?

Ian

Yes, I have written this on behalf of a friend who wants to see what other people have to say.

Thanks.

Dreammerchant

You must be missing expats exposed..... http://www.expatexposed.com/

Cheers
    Hila

I suggest your friend registers for an account and asks specific questions or concerns individually. Presumably, you gave your own perspectives on these issues to your friend -- what were they? You can hardly expect others to post their views if you're unwilling to share your own.

well said!!!!!

If you spend some time reading posts here, all your questions will be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    If you spend some time reading posts here, all your questions will be answered.
    Dell's right. ALL these issues have been discussed on the forum before. Tell your friend to sit at a computer using Google, and do a series of searches starting "site:enz.org ..." replacing the ... with keywords about the various points, and the many threads will come up.

It's even worse that you think. It seems to attract a tiny minority of moaners and whiners who channel much of their energy into spamming and trash talking New Zealand anywhere online they can. These rather lame, mediocre people are notorious for being lousy colleagues, whingey partners and they think the world owes them something.

They're so bizarre that any possibly legitimate point they could make is rather rapidly undermined by their over-the-top, melodramatic victimhood.

Most new New Zealanders, particularly those online, are quite adept at looking at a range of resources, considering their own priorities and making an informed judgement. So find what they hoped for here, some don't and some find it even better than they imagined.

Unfortunately there's only one bridge here at enz.org and there are already strange, furry little people waiting for a spot there. So you'd best move on to somewhere else, lil troll...

Quote Originally Posted by dreammerchant View Post
    People are attracted to New Zealand by images of clear blue skies, fantastic scenery, friendly and honest people, low crime and low living costs. However, is this really the case? I've been speaking to people who have moved there and they have told me they feel almost lied to by the government of New Zealand, and by some New Zealanders. They've told me that the country, relatively speaking, is poor and a lot of it is in a state of disrepair. The wages are relatively low, and the living costs are as high as anywhere. Also, they've told me the crime rate is appalling, it only has a population of 4 million, and yet the violent crime rate per capita is higher than Britain, and also they have a lot of organised gang problem. I'm told you've gotta watch yourself more than average when you go out, and at night in urban areas, it's not advisable to go out alone at all - I'm not saying that that's different elsewhere, but it's a contradictions of what the New Zealand government try to portray to attract new immigrants, and also, a lot of New Zealanders are in denial about the state of their country and rant and rave about it. Also, while a minor dissatisfaction, I'm told the weather is not nearly as good as it's made out to be. British people have told me that the weather patterns in New Zealand seem identical to the UK, rain, then sun, then overcast, then rain, then sun in the summer all in one day, and not much warmer than the British summer (20-25C, occasionally pushing into 30C), and cold, grey and wet winters, which are about 10-15C at best on the North Island, and 5-10C on the South Island.

A lot of people seem to be going to New Zealand with the vision of heaven on earth in their minds, and discover it's worse than where they've come from, but can't raise the funds to get back due to the low wages so they're just doing their time in New Zealand until they are granted New Zealand citizenship, and can get out to Australia. Apparently, the New Zealanders with any sense/education have already done so.

This is a collection of what I've been told by people I've spoken to who have moved to New Zealand, of course, some like it more than others, but pretty much all of them said it didn't live up to the hype.

So, is New Zealand all doom and gloom like so many people make out, or does it actually have real appeal?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast