Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marriage Amendment Bill

Default Marriage Amendment Bill

Just so that you know I can, I thought I'd write a positive impression of NZ for a change

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...iage-legalised

I watched the second and third readings of the bill on Parliament TV. On the whole, the debate was quite civil and respectful. I was even positively suprised by some MPs and enjoyed their speeches.

Well done NZ! And before the UK, too, which made my Kiwi partner even happier

Daniela

What is the difference between marriage and civil union? I'm puzzled by this one.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    What is the difference between marriage and civil union? I'm puzzled by this one.
    Other than the name and the fact that neither was available to everyone equally?

Here in NZ, as far as I can see, the main difference is the fact that you cannot adopt as a couple (you can adopt while in a relationship, but only one of the partners can be the adoptive parent), and you cannot adopt, for example, your partner's biological children. I am not sure how much the last bit matters for children born these days that have both parents (can be two women) on the birth certificate, but I know that for older children born before that was possible, the non-biological parent was not able to adopt the child so that both parents are fully legally recognised parents.

In actual fact, I don't think the legal differences are huge apart from the adoption issue (it is even smaller in the UK), but I personally find it an important signal to send.

Daniela

I agree Daniela! WTG NZ.

Thanks Daniela.

It was amusing that this somewhat controversial bill was passed with a large majority whereas the simple matter of rationalising two public holidays scraped in by one vote. Practically half the MPs that we elected believe that we either don't need or don't want an extra two days off per seven years!

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    It was amusing that this somewhat controversial bill was passed with a large majority whereas the simple matter of rationalising two public holidays scraped in by one vote. Practically half the MPs that we elected believe that we either don't need or don't want an extra two days off per seven years!
    Yes, that struck me as quite interesting, too

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Yes, that struck me as quite interesting, too

Daniela
    Not that surprising when the MPs were allowed a conscience vote for the one bill and only had a party vote for the other.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Not that surprising when the MPs were allowed a conscience vote for the one bill and only had a party vote for the other
    Ah. That would explain it. Hadn't paid close enough attention to that one.

Daniela

Thanks Daniela for posting this.

I am a bit biased, since I am: 1.) gay, 2.) married, 3.) to another man. We got us one of them fancy new same-sex marriages back in 2004 in Canada. But I was not at all blasé about this week's events: Himself and I watched the third reading holding hands, trying to get a more nuanced sense of our new home. And like many political events it was a mix of blather, boredom, ire and inspiration.

But when the waiata started we were both blubbering--at least I knew it was coming when the Speaker made the pre-result announcement. A few days later and I'm still getting messages and emails from around the world: the video of Pokarekare Ana has gone viral. As one relative said "here in the US we can't have a dignified or adult discussion about things like this; in New Zealand you sing about them." Perhaps not always, but what a moment.

There are those who have a great deal of trepidation about the marriage law changes. I understand that: I grew up in a strict Irish Catholic culture, one which I had to unlearn a fair bit to accept myself. These things are a re-ordering of the world, to a certain extent. But I can also re-assure folks that a decade after marriage equality came to Canada, life for most Canadians remains unchanged. But for a minority, life has been transformed. I suspect you need to either have a profound sense of being unequal--or love someone who experiences it--to fully understand that. But it's been lovely to see so many of my friends and colleagues here in NZ similarly unburdened. You free up a lot of energy when you begin to feel more fully a citizen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast