Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton and beyond....

Question Hamilton and beyond....

Hello everyone, we have been reading posts on the forum for a while now, and learning loads, but this is our first post - yesterday I was offered a job based in Hamilton which covers the area right up to the Coromandel and then down as far as lake Taupo, which at the moment seems like a massive area??? Where do you think would be the best place to begin looking for somewhere to live? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....we seem to be going round in circles at the moment - are there any areas to avoid?

Congratulations on the job! You'll probably need to be fairly close to Hamilton if that's your base. I am officially based in Hamilton but I mainly work in Tokoroa. The time it takes me to drive from Cambridge (where I live) to Tok is counted as work time, and I'm sure your travel time will be included in your work time too, if you have to cover such a wide area. Whereas, if you live in the Coromandel, they may not count your journeys to Hamilton as work time, because you would just be driving in to your base if you see what I mean.

The areas surrounding Hamilton will also probably be the most central for all your travel.

I live in Cambridge, and I can happily recommend it, it's a lovely town, with good shops and cafes, the only thing missing is the sea. I work in Tokoroa, where you will see that house prices are very cheap compared to other areas of NZ. You will also see that it is central for your travelling, but I'm not sure I would recommend it as a place to live although there is a good sense of community and many people love living there. I'm just not sure it is what people might want when they emigrate to another country, htere is a very high level of poverty.

You might be best to come and rent at first, and explore the area. There are lots of nice towns - Te Awamutu, Morrinsville, Paeroa, Te Aroha, that fall in the area you describe, or maybe you prefer a city - (i.e. Hamilton)

Welcome to the forum Helen and Phil

Congratulations on the job!! We visited NZ last year and absolutely fell in love with Cambridge and surrounding areas, so I totally echo Sam B views. We hope to live there one day in the not too distant future

Good luck with the move and jobs!!

Liam n Rach

Hello and welcome.

We've been in NZ for six(ish) weeks now and in the Hamilton area. We really like Hamilton and are currently renting in Rototuna suburb, which is fine and has a great primary school for our two.

There are many lovely suburbs and surrounding towns not too far from Hamilton, large and small, the city being where all the major roads collide of course, so you may want to stay reasonably close to town given the range of your working travels.

Thanks for the replies it gives us more of a focus to begin the search!! Have you found it easy to find somewhere to rent? and are the rental periods set or flexible - 3 months, 6 months etc? how much are the rental rates in and around Hamilton roughly for a two bedroom flat/house in a nice area?

thanks....

I've been in Hamilton for about a month and I love the place. Rental accommodation is not difficult to come by provided you are not too fussy. I suggest you visit http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Prop...22=0&59=0&59=0 for a selection of rental properties available in the Waikato region.

You can also try Lodge Real Estate http://www.lodgerealestate.co.nz/?nav=rentsearch.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I've been in Hamilton for about a month and I love the place. Rental accommodation is not difficult to come by provided you are not too fussy. I suggest you visit http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Prop...22=0&59=0&59=0 for a selection of rental properties available in the Waikato region.

You can also try Lodge Real Estate http://www.lodgerealestate.co.nz/?nav=rentsearch.

Good luck.
    Cheers Oliver good links!! There seems to be alot available on these sites. I have read in previous posts that good quality rental properties are hard to come by? From some I can see in the links, they all look pretty good with very favourable descriptions. I am wondering if they will live up to their billing or if the agents are being 'economic' with the truth

Only going by what some have said on previous threads relating to 'the standard of rental propeties'.....

Just a thought...

Liam n Rach

Hmmm, don't believe the hype (as Public Enemy used to say, any gangster rap fans out there?) no excuse for going and seeing with your own two eyes. There are lots though, so you won't have trouble finding one pretty quickly, and the area counts for as much as the property itself.

Some have period tie ins up to 12 months, but ours has no tie in other than having to give 3 weeks notice if we want to leave - no great hardship.

We were in a motel for just two weeks when we first got here, so found our rental pretty sharpish.

You could also try www.realestate.co.nz they have properties to buy, rentals, rural homes, business etc.

Good luck.

Congrats on the job offer. We are heading to Hamilton soon, good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast