Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing thought - what does living through 2 summers do to you?

Default Passing thought - what does living through 2 summers do to you?

September seems a great time to emigrate to NZ from the Northern Hemisphere. We get 2 summers. I was wondering if it affected anyone on the boards (no SAD, endless summer syndrome (happiness), people missing Autumn/Fall)? I find I lose weight in the Spring and pile on as the nights grow longer. Did moving help anyone out on this? Reset body thermostat? Just Friday evening ramblings. Time to get back to the packing...

After 5 years here I still find it strange to have Christmas in the summer after 47 years of a winter Christmas. Apart from that its fine

I am really looking forward to my first Christmas on the beach in a long time! Hoping you're right about the endless summer syndrome because once I've relocated to NZ, I'll still be spending about four months a year in the U.S (primarily summer months).

I think seasons are overrated. I could do with always summer, to be honest.

However, as I like to point out to my Kiwi colleagues, just because you call something 'Spring' or 'Summer' doesn't make it one. There's been some quite abysmal weather in the run up to christmas in the years that I've lived here, and at least three of the christmases themselves have been really wet and windy (no beach time there...). And the entire last summer was a bit of a non-event.

So I wouldn't worry about it, there'll be enough rain around to cure your 'endless summer syndrome'

Daniela

When we arrived in Hawkes Bay (in Feb) people kept telling us we'd come during a really bad summer, it was miserable, not the usual style etc etc How we laughed as we basked in sun/heat that we'd never have got during our best summer at home! Winter here's been a toughie/not too bad depending on which kiwi friends you listen to and it's *still* nicer than an English winter, maybe even an English Autumn!

Quote Originally Posted by RHT View Post
    Winter here's been a toughie/not too bad depending on which kiwi friends you listen to
    Can't have been too bad, I think this may have been the first May that wasn't described as 'the coldest in living memory' and 'exceptionally cold' in the papers since I've been reading the Herald...

Daniela

I went to Welly 2 years ago and we had Christmas on a hot day...I know it's grim at times in Welly, but we must have been very lucky (and I see myself as moving to the Seattle of NZ). As to the weather, doesn't compare to a typical Scottish summer (oxymoron) or a fierce NY winter which can be quite brutal.

I moved to NZ from Canada in early September, returned to Canada in June, and am going back to NZ in October. So essentially 4 summers in a row for the most part. Zero complaints here!

I really enjoyed the novelty of having Christmas in the summer, and I'm sure I will enjoy it just as much this year. However my stay in NZ is temporary (2.5ish years) so I would probably feel differently if I thought I wouldn't be back to a snowy Christmas in a few years. Then again who knows where we will end up!

My wife is spending nearly all of the year 2012 in summer(s): Between the two NZ one's she has been to Europe since April and will be returning shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    So I wouldn't worry about it, there'll be enough rain around to cure your 'endless summer syndrome'

Daniela
    Depends on where you're living; e.g. Central Otagon is rather dry, averaging just ~350mm per year.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Depends on where you're living; e.g. Central Otagon is rather dry, averaging just ~350mm per year.
    Of course it does, but as far as I know, the OP is moving to Wellington. So, yes, I'm sure there will be enough rain to counter the feeling of living in an endless summer...

Daniela

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast