Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rats!

Default Rats!

We seem to have some chewing through our water pipes, luckily we have been around both times to hear the dreaded drip and managed to turn the water off. Is this fairly common? very dry up here in Auckland. We have black flexible hosing as waterpipes which is very strange, but have an old house with lots oddities. Waiting to call the plumber and rentokil to see if we can sort it.

You have to find out what attracts them at the first place coming to you/into your area.

Quite common it is because of composts with eggs (even just the shells) or meat (or bones thereof).

Just as long as there aren't any pack rats. Two of my many reasons for returning to NZ are pack rats and rattlesnakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Just as long as there aren't any pack rats. Two of my many reasons for returning to NZ are pack rats and rattlesnakes.
    That is what OH said. but then he let me come too!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    That is what OH said. but then he let me come too!

Well the two leaky pipes haven't been chewed but just coincidence, still think I can hear rats running around. The pest control want $215 to do an inspection, so I am off to buy some poison at Mitre 10 to start with

you can eliminate rats yourself easy enough. They are very common and live everywhere there are people, it's just that not many people see them as they are mainly nocturnal.
    Go to your nearest agricultural store and get a largish can of Talon bait. It's quite safe to handle as long as your are sensible. Staple the little bags to a piece of wood and poke it into any likely hiding places. Reason you staple them is that rats like to hoard the baits. I use a short piece of drain pipe and put this close to the wall of the house, rats like to run around the perimeter.
    You will need to keep this up for a few months to be effective. If you can put bait in the attic thats a good spot. Of course you have to remove any food scraps and wrappers or keep them in a can with a lid. It will do the mice in as well!

We have had a number of rats around us and just buy bait from Hammer Hardware / Mitre 10 when we start noticing them again.

I've also seen our dog catch one (and devour it!) and have noticed less of them about since we got her so maybe she is also keeping the population in check!

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    We have had a number of rats around us and just buy bait from Hammer Hardware / Mitre 10 when we start noticing them again.

I've also seen our dog catch one (and devour it!) and have noticed less of them about since we got her so maybe she is also keeping the population in check!
    Our cat once came home not carrying one of the "normal" mice but a rat. And the are other cats around in the neighbourhood. So I think the cats keep these rodents in check.

We have a puppy and kitten so hopefully they will keep the critters at bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast