Thread: NZ Schools offering Cambridge IGCSEs

Thanks Gil.

As my kids are still quite young I don't know much about this level. Are the Cambridge exams considered better than the standard NZ ones (whatever they are?!)?

Or are they just a good option for those emigrating with older children from the UK?

Cheers

Tia

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    Thanks Gil.

As my kids are still quite young I don't know much about this level. Are the Cambridge exams considered better than the standard NZ ones (whatever they are?!)?

Or are they just a good option for those emigrating with older children from the UK?

Cheers

Tia
    Good question Tia. At Macleans College, they tend to put most of the UK immigrants into the Cambridge stream as apparently the pupils tend to find it easier to adjust.

NCEA is adamant that there is no difference and Macleans have never said that CIGCSE is for the brighter kids and NCEA for the less academic. In fact they go to great lengths to showcase students who are bright, choose NCEA and succeed in the local papers etc. However, it's almost a case of "Methinks the lady doth protest too much", as there is a nagging perception that CIGCSE is "better" and that the "less academic" do NCEA.

I think that CIGCSE and the International Baccalaureat are widely perceived to be consistent, high quality qualifications around the world, BUT, as ever, it comes back to what your child is like, what needs they have and how they like to work....
    Gil
    x