Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tauranga - why we would want to live in tauranga or why we should not

Default Tauranga - why we would want to live in tauranga or why we should not

well the wife has a job interview in the next couple of weeks (informal) and we have started looking at places to live
    avenue's what are they like

also anything you can think about why we would want to live in tauranga or why we should not

thanks
    the inmans

I'll let you know when I get there on 16 May

There's a few threads where I asked when I was offered the job, search button should find them.

All the best.

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    I'll let you know when I get there on 16 May

There's a few threads where I asked when I was offered the job, search button should find them.

All the best.

Duncan
    thats great wht job are you in
    hope all goes well
    do you have family?

I'm a traffic engineer / transport planner. Will initially be heading out on my own until the house sells, but then my wife will be joining me, leaving the cat behind with a new home.

General feedback is that Tauranga is a fairly slow paced place, in terms of a lot of retired people there, and so not the most vibrant nightlife, but that will suit me perfectly as I'm not a party animal. Having said that it's expanding rapidly, and so for me there's plenty of work.

Couple of other forumites are already there, one arrived a few months back and has been posting updates, the other has been there for a bit longer.

thats great
    let us know how you get on .
    we loved it there when we went in nov ( was busy though b/holliday)

Ah, well you've got the advantage on me, we overnighted out to the west, then drove straight through on the way to Taupo, as we didn't think it was big enough for a job for me. Ooops.

Will definately keep posting once I get there, as I'm sure I'll be looking for tips over the first few months anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Ah, well you've got the advantage on me, we overnighted out to the west, then drove straight through on the way to Taupo, as we didn't think it was big enough for a job for me. Ooops.

Will definately keep posting once I get there, as I'm sure I'll be looking for tips over the first few months anyway.
    we loved the place we also looked at whangarei but tauranga would be better for the wife (she is a dr)

woud love to try and keep in touch and find out how you are getting on we aree planning moving feb2011
    do you have skype?
    when is your wife going over
    peace for a bit then ha ha

Tauranga is fantastic, Avenues are ok if you are 13th down, after that its not so nice up in the 20s.

Bethlehem is very nice, Omokoroa which is where we lived and are heading back to is very serene 'summer bay' type place but 20 mins out of town

pace of life is slow

Talking

Both my children live in Tauranga and they are in their 30's. They love it, both work there too. I am hoping to live in Tauranga - waiting for my visa.

There are some lovely restaurants and bars, nice beaches, I think the town is just the right size, nice shops and excellent library in both town and Mt Maunganui. A couple of excellent cinemas with all the new release films. Great place to bring up children, I was amazed to see free barbies that were not vandalised, dotted about in the parks and near the ocean - respected by everyone. The Kiwis are very friendly - you will love it there.

I love Tauranga!!! We've been here for 5 months now and I'm really enjoying the area. As Duncan said, it is a bit slower paced and there are a lot of retirees, but there is still plenty do and it is growing. I enjoy the slightly smaller feel, but it is still big enough to find what you need. The weather is lovely here and the beaches are nice. Avenues is nice in some areas. Otumoetai and Welcome Bay are quite nice, Mt Maunganui is nice but expensive. We are in Papamoa and I LOVE it! We are in Papamoa East, which is bit further out of town (20 minutes to downtown Tauranga, but the main part of Papamoa isn't too far. There are lots of nice areas, but it can be hit or miss, so you just have to check out the area. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast