Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things from USA

Post Things from USA

Hello dear folks..

We have a quote to ship less-than-a-container load, with only the stuff we really cant part with and are expensive to replace. I have been planning to bring few things with our luggage to start with. viz the basic toiletries, pot,pan, knife and board, Mr. Clean , etc., and shipping rest of the stuff.
    The quote we got, is for a 200 cu.ft Lift-van, from Rainier Overseas. Costs sums up to $ 3800 approx. Totally worth when we spread the cost across the valuables we got. ( Branded clothes and shoes )

I was wondering abt few things to bring along.

1. School Supplies - Do they provide them at school...or we have to buy on our own. How expensive are they ? Would u guys suggest to bring some school supplies from here (USA) in specific (crayons, etc .,). Its a back to school season here, and things are crazy cheap now, so I was wondering what kind of school supplies would a kindy kid need.(my LO is turning 3 this december.. And I want to stock up some, for future use. )

2. Toiletries and cosmetics- Do they allow them in ur bags at the NZ airport ? Are they allowed in the shipment ? Can we buy new stuff and ship or bring along ? We arent planning to bring a lot, just 1 item each to start with. Shampoo, bodywash, conditioner, lotion, face cream etc.,

Have any of u had any issues bringing Make up brushes ? Planning to bring them new, and in original packs.

3. Pull ups/potty training nappies - Worth bringing atleast 1 pack ?

4. Umbrella stroller

5. Question for ladies out there .. what kind of dress code is common. Im asking because, I want to stock up on formal tops and pants, as my work-wear is a bit outdated and I outgrew them a little bit I had another friend say no one really wears serious formal-wear there.

6. Waterproof shoe - How do u ladies match your formal attire with the right type of shoes, if its raining ? Is it common to wear Casuals on choice while its raining . I know im being naive, but I have been thinking abt this for a long time..I have to ask.

I know all the stuff is umpteen times expensive there, but I am not gonna worry abt each and everything. I am just making sure am covered, during the settlement days..And then we would do just fine with the overly-priced , and limited-choice of things.

We will convince ourselves to equip our home with ultra-super-over priced things there, but I was only curious abt something that isnt totally unavailable at that side of world..like Bounce brand Dryer sheets.

Sorry if the questions are repititive. As long as I have digged here, i dont recall coming across these.

Please share your thoughts and views. Anything specific to kid stuff, pls dont hesitate to share even if its mentioned in the forum already.

Cheers
    Spk
    Last edited by peekaboo; 11th August 2010 at 06:03 AM.

Hi Peekaboo

We found the school supplies are totally different in NZ from the US (special notebooks, paper, etc) I felt like we had to start over and buy everything there. The only things that our kids used from the US were their backpacks and my youngest brought her lunchbox (from Landsend or LLBean i think?). Although my youngest had a regulation backpack so she didn't even use the one from the US.

They have the same cosmetics but not necessarily the same colors (for foundation for example). The lady at the dept store counter said they tend to have more "orange-ish" foundations in NZ and AU) I brought cosmetic brushes with no problems. I did stock up on a lot of sunscreen in our shipment though since we had to use it every day (and we bought it at Costco) Also stocked up on shampoo/conditioner in our shipment. (in fact, I bought a huge plastic container and stocked up on everything: razors, qtips, advil, vitamins, bandaids, liquid bandaid, tylenol, ACT, floss, toothpaste, etc...from costco) No problems from MAF

The one thing I was really glad to have was OxyClean :-)

I was surprised at the amount of black clothes everyone was wearing (maybe its just a Chch thing?) even though it was summer! I would pick my daughter up from school and it looked like the other mom's had just come from a funeral

I use Lancome make-up. I usually get the liquid foundation in US for 45.00 bucks, in NZ same brand (different color options) is 95.00 NZ $.

That one example gives you a good idea of the cost to expect regarding favorite products you use in the US and what you will pay in NZ. In US dollars, it doesn't seem so bad to me. In NZ dollars, it seems like a big chunk out of the paycheck...because it is.

In our container, we stocked up on a lot of different things (helped us keep our sanity, actually, to have so many things we love arrive two months after we had landed). I bought several large bottles of my fave shampoo and conditioners, shaving lotion, razors, and body wash at Sam's club, for example, and packed these in our container. I packed a year's worth in plastic tubs and just labeled it "toiletries." The US cost is tiny compared to what you'll pay in NZ.

Best of luck.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by CjChris View Post
    In our container, we stocked up on a lot of different things (helped us keep our sanity, actually, to have so many things we love arrive two months after we had landed). I bought several large bottles of my fave shampoo and conditioners, shaving lotion, razors, and body wash at Sam's club, for example, and packed these in our container. I packed a year's worth in plastic tubs and just labeled it "toiletries." The US cost is tiny compared to what you'll pay in NZ.
    This is what I intend to do as well. Is there any point in stocking up on things like washing powder/liquid and conditioner for the washing machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    This is what I intend to do as well. Is there any point in stocking up on things like washing powder/liquid and conditioner for the washing machine?

I personally wouldn't go that far as to fill up on big bulky stuff that is relatively inexpensive. If you are not too fussed about brands like Persil then you can get Washing powder like 500g of Surf 2x Power washing powder for NZ $1.99 on special and fabric softeners for less than NZ $3 per litre. There's a regular washing powder, called Down to Earth (eco friendly) that is often on special for $1.99 per kg

Unless you want something special for sensitive skin or allergies, I would save the space for nicer, smaller or more expensive items and 'luxuries'.

Old fashioned pure soap flakes are about $5.50 a box and if you want to be really frugal when you get here, you could have a go at DIY washing powders or liquids.
    Last edited by Ngeru; 12th August 2010 at 12:56 AM.

Default Thanks

I agree very much with the idea of stocking up smaller luxury things than the bulkier. Make-up a must on the list.

I think ppl are all tired of answering what things to bring, coz they keep telling to the prospective ones that they should bring everything they can, coz its either very pricey or non existent in NZ. Ok. I get the point. I made my mind. But the men (atleast my husband ) just wont get why we ladies have so much affinity to toiletries and cosmetics....right ??? He might suggest ( I know him cell by cell , one sarcastic fella ) that I dont have to worry if I use one moisturiser for whole body, instead of having to worry about buying 100 things to apply on my face,hands, toes, nails and cuticles , tip of the hair individually....

Thanks anyways for the suggestions..

Serious packing to do this weekend, and planning to move around mid-september... Hoping for the best.

Cheers
    Spk

Well, I can understand how it must be, my OH transformed me to using a different product for every cell

On the contrary I would like to check if perfumes can be sent via movers? Do they need to be bubble wrapped or MAF need to have easy access to check them all?

We have about 30 bottles of them, few are still sealed

@ sun777

Good question. I will check that with my moving company and post it here. We have atleast a dozen of them.

Spk

On our trip back to the US last month, we brought an empty suitcase (and needed one more) to stock up on things we could get cheaper there:

books
    cds
    new balance tennis shoes
    lands end shirts and slacks for my husband
    costco-sized AA battery packs, tampons, over the counter meds, panty hose (all black ones - that seems to be the official colour here in wellington).

and some weird things we miss - scotch tape (I have yet to find cellotape here that works worth anything), a few things from trader joe's, cans of pumpkin so I can delay the time when i have to learn how to make a pumpkin pie from an actual pumpkin

I think the casual dress is all relative to where you are moving from/to. Women's dress in my Wellington office is more formal than it was at my California office (and sooo much black!). But I have friends in IT who say it's more casual so maybe just depends on your office culture? Everyone seems to get "mufti friday" = "casual friday" for jeans or those really loud skirts/shirts that seemed like a good idea to buy on holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo View Post
    6. Waterproof shoe - How do u ladies match your formal attire with the right type of shoes, if its raining ? Is it common to wear Casuals on choice while its raining . I know im being naive, but I have been thinking abt this for a long time..I have to ask.
    One word - Boots. I love my black leather high heeled boots and wear them all the time in the winter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast