Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using iPad + Skype in place of mobile phone

Default Using iPad + Skype in place of mobile phone

Has anyone in NZ had any success is using the iPad2 and the Skype app for communication in place of a mobile phone?

I have an iPad 2 (US) and would like to use it rather than trying to navigate the trecherous waters of iPhone unlocking, etc. As I understand it, getting an iPad to work in NZ is fairly easy...?

Used my iPad 2 and Skype yesterday to communicate with my sister and her family back in the UK.

Connecting via wireless router and using the iPad 2 cameras, I was able to walk her around my new home. Much easier than a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by rogercruse View Post
    Used my iPad 2 and Skype yesterday to communicate with my sister and her family back in the UK.

Connecting via wireless router and using the iPad 2 cameras, I was able to walk her around my new home. Much easier than a laptop.
    rogercruse, are you able to make local, national, and international calls using skype?

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurefamily View Post
    rogercruse, are you able to make local, national, and international calls using skype?
    I do this with a netbook and an ipod touch. Calling a NZ mobile number will set you back 45 cents (NZ) a minute. If you're doing this a lot, you'll likely want to find an alternative. Everyone I know with a smart phone uses Viber (which I think will work on an ipad)--free calls/text to other people with Viber.

I have a package on my land line that covers these so only use Skype for video calling.

For local calls I would go for a mobile phone, as 2degrees have some great deals- like 22c a minute, or you can get bundles that work out very cheap! It is also only 22c a minutes to overseas landlines, and 9c per text!

I guess it all depends where and when you will want to talk to people, as some places don't have great 3G coverage!

Has anyone in NZ had any success is using the iPad2 and the Skype app for communication in place of a mobile phone?

I have an iPad 2 (US) and would like to use it rather than trying to navigate the trecherous waters of iPhone unlocking, etc. As I understand it, getting an iPad to work in NZ is fairly easy...?
    Yes it a good idea, You can also buy a Skype online NZ number With or without subscription, so people can call you back on a local NZ number and it will ring on you Skype on Ipad.
    If you get with subscription with online Skype number you can call 100 min to unlimited min to other landline NZ numbers (depends on sunscriptions)

Any questions feel free to PM me.

If it is the hassle of unlocking the iPhone rather than the price then why not just buy an unlocked iPhone off contract direct from Apple? Skype works on the iPad but it isn't the most portable thing and data in NZ is quite pricey.

I tend to use Google voice more as the call quality is significantly better to North America than Skype is, at least with my setup. To call within New Zealand it is $0.02 US to landlines and $0.20 US to mobiles although the times I have used it, the New Zealand calls have had varying quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Millieandme View Post
    I tend to use Google voice more as the call quality is significantly better to North America than Skype is, at least with my setup. To call within New Zealand it is $0.02 US to landlines and $0.20 US to mobiles although the times I have used it, the New Zealand calls have had varying quality.
    Agreed. The quality of Google Voice to the US is downright amazing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast