Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend away (but not too far) from Auckland

Default Weekend away (but not too far) from Auckland

Hi folks,

My parents arrive at the end of September for a visit and they have volunteered to look after DS whilst OH & I go away for a couple of nights. Primarily we're looking for somewhere to relax thats quiet, 'grown-up', has good food & wine, maybe spa facilities. We don't want to go OTT with cost but are prepared to splish (as opposed to splash) out a little.

We had considered going to Waiheke Island but I'm concerned that if we get an 'emergency' call in the middle of the night we're stuck! Even though I know the chances of this happening are limited the idea is to relax and with that in the back of my mind I know I wouldn't. So... any suggestions on where to go or stay?

Thanks in advance,
    Anneliese

How far is too far? What kind of length of drive are you looking for?

My first suggestion would be Rotorua but thats up to a 3 hours drive.

Raglan, but that may be a bit small town for what you are looking for...

Orewa, although thats pretty much on your doorstep! Oooh, how about Leigh, we had some beer from the farmers market from here... http://www.sawmillcafe.co.nz/ or Omaha and hobnob it with the rich and famous??

I was also thinking Rotoroa....could you leave some emergency phone numbers and ask a neighbour to be on standby just in case?

Rotorua, Taupo, Waihi Beach, 90 mile beach?

We've never been but his place looks nice :

www.heritagehotels.co.nz/hotel-and-spa-du-vin/

Its spa:

www.spaduvin.co.nz/spainfo.php

Cheers

Tia

Thanks folks some good ideas here. We've already been to Rotorua for a week earlier this year so we probably won't go there again even if I could spend the whole day at the Luge! I guess I'm thinking within 2/3hr drive as the plan is for us to lunch at the Sky Tower on Friday and then OH and I to head off, returning Sunday afternoon. Spa facilities are not essential it might just be nice to have a massage at some point.

Actually does anyone have experience of somewhere nice to stay in the Matakana area. We LOVE the market and have been several times, it would be nice to be able to browse without a small child trying to drag me off to get ice cream!

Anneliese
    Last edited by mgbridges; 13th August 2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Additional text

But surely if you live in Auckland and are going away for the weekend, you have to come to the Coromandel? I thought it was the law. This place looks nice, though a bit pricey: http://www.villatoscana.co.nz/

Anneliese, thats where I got the Leigh idea from, we picked up beer at the Matakana market, and they have accommodation on the cafe site in Leigh too! we havent stayed, but looks very nice.... its an english couple that run it been here since the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
    Anneliese, thats where I got the Leigh idea from, we picked up beer at the Matakana market, and they have accommodation on the cafe site in Leigh too! we havent stayed, but looks very nice.... its an english couple that run it been here since the 80's.
    The lady that owns the brewery used to be the deputy head teacher at DS's school. Last term the staff 'social' event was a trip out to Leigh Sawmill for a brewery tour/tasting and then lunch. OH & I also first came across them at the Matakana Market.

Its a nice idea but I fear that I'd never drag OH away from the bar and to be honest I'm looking for something in the 4 - 5 star range.

Anneliese

Hmm a hubby stuck in the bar all night isnt exactly romantic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast