Thread: Happiness of New Zealand

Default Happiness of New Zealand

'A report dubbed Happiness of New Zealand has shown who are the happiest people in the country.' (ODT of today)

The actual report as published by the researcher here: http://www.umr.co.nz/Reports/HappinessOfNZUpdate.pdf

To be honest...., I find that pretty ridicoulos, a survey with a total of 750 people to decide who are the happiest in the country!!!!
    I read the article earlier in our local paper, not convincing for me, at all!

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    To be honest...., I find that pretty ridicoulos, a survey with a total of 750 people to decide who are the happiest in the country!!!!
    That is why I don't like relying on secondary sources especially papers and so I thought I provide you with the link to the original.

Yeah I don't think you can draw very good conclusions from that. There's too many categories people have been categorised into. It states Labour supporters are the least happiest (gradually getting less happy from 2008)... maybe that's to do with election results and the 2011 election showing no hope for them? Same idea for National supporters being the happiest and staying happy towards the 2011 election.

And for example, why are Asian New Zealanders less happy? Are they also Labour supporters? Are they renting and not looking to buy? (The least happy category for home ownership) Are they unemployed?

Too many random stats that need to be put together.

An interesting link, even if some of the statistical relevance is lost when the sample sizes get too small. Thanks for putting it up.

I laughed at the page on Marital Status. "Widows and widowers remain the happiest marital group in New Zealand."

Quote Originally Posted by Millieandme View Post
    I laughed at the page on Marital Status. "Widows and widowers remain the happiest marital group in New Zealand."
    When I read that bit to my OH, he looked at me suspiciously!!

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    The sample size is 26,250, not 750.

The happiest people are the ones who don't read newspapers.