Thread: CV Template

Default CV Template

Hi
    Does anyone have a NZ CV template I can use? I need to write my CV so thought it would be good to get it into the right format from the start as I have heard it should be 4 - 5 pages rather than the UK version of 2. But I don't know what should be in it to make it 5 pages long.

Thanks Berni

I used sort of a cross between the one you can generate on http://www.seek.co.nz and all the information from my complete resume. I only came up with about 4 pages though. That should give you a basic idea of what type of information is expected.

In the US it is typical to tailor your full resume down to 1-2 pages specific to just the job you are applying for so I ended up with about 20 different resumes with slightly different skill descriptions and one big one with everything. Don't know if that is similar to the UK. It seems in NZ it is common to just have all the potential information in one place.

IT agents seem to be keen on a skills matrix on page one. Meaning, cross reference "year" against "skill", so they can see what you used and when. Include soft skills like "project management" too, not just "Java/J2EE", etc.

Every time I've asked about CV formats since I arrived I've got a different answer (agents, employeers, HR people, co-workers etc)

I came to the conclusion to go with what I felt most comfortable with myself. I've done a fair amount of recruitment myuself and CV screeneing, so know what I like to see, but everyone is different.

I ended up with 3 pages - summary of key skills at the top, education at the end, work history in reverse chronological order in between, decreasing in level of detail as they go.

I also made sure I added "NZ Permanent Resident" in the personal details section along with contact details etc.

More than happy to send you a copy if it's remoely useful to you, just PM with your email address. I do IT management.

BBB

this is a very good topic as i also need to know how to format my cv when i get there

Hi all,

Like BBB I have had dozens of different advice already on my CV and now I have decided to just stick to what I think is best - not that this has brought me the desired job already :-( , but that has probably more to do with my general experience/background.

It is also pretty much dependent on the kind of branch you are aiming at and the type of profession, so it is not at all that straight forward. Of course there are some basics which you can get from the internet. If you would like to have someone to go over your CV feel free to ask for specific advice.

Regards,
    Anita

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    Hi
    Does anyone have a NZ CV template I can use? I need to write my CV so thought it would be good to get it into the right format from the start as I have heard it should be 4 - 5 pages rather than the UK version of 2. But I don't know what should be in it to make it 5 pages long.

Thanks Berni
    Try Preparing a CV section from this link Creating your application, it is what Victoria Uni recommend.

Ian

Hi Berni

Can't see anywhere where you're from? Do you have access to Microsoft Word/office? I just used the resume wizard. Chose the type I wanted, elegant, contemporary etc. Then it gives you the option to put pretty mich what you want in it? I sent it to a few companies and the agency I'm registered with and I have no complaints so far!?

Hope this helps?

Sue