Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me plan my retirement

Default Help me plan my retirement

No hurry, this is like a 15 year plan, but since it's almost not freezing cold over at least some of the country, I thought I'd start planning today.

First up: Location
    1) Not super cold. This might only be a part of the year thing, so I might not be too worried about winter. Also, if I can afford to heat my house the next time around...
    2) Near the water; preferably water front, but I'll need at least a little elevation, as who knows where sea level might be in 20 years.
    3) Within a half hour of civilization. I don't need Auckland size civilization, but maybe a movie theatre and a supermarket.

That's it so far. I'm thinking maybe the Marlborough Sounds. Maybe a small lifestyle block in case the end of the world happens and I need room to grow my own carrots.

Who's got suggestions?

Haole Mike

Oh, hello again!

Sounds a lot like Rotorua/Lakes District, where incidentally my partner is from and we're planning a return move to.

Quote Originally Posted by diallta View Post
    Sounds a lot like Rotorua/Lakes District, where incidentally my partner is from and we're planning a return move to.
    I had not considered non-ocean bodies of water. Is there a non-sulphery side of the lake?

If you're an ocean person, a big lake won't cut it. I lived on Lake Ontario for 3 years...not the same as the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    If you're an ocean person, a big lake won't cut it. I lived on Lake Ontario for 3 years...not the same as the sea.
    Rotorua is less than an hour from the ocean if you really need to see it. Compared with where I live now, that's basically on the ocean.

As for a "non-sulphery" side, when we had a look at a house on the north side of the lake (Hamurana) I wouldn't have even realized there was volcanic activity in the area if I didn't already know. There are other lakes in the area as well (Rotoiti, Rotoehu, Tarawera[$$$]) if you're OK with driving to the city center.

On the other hand, I shouldn't be trying to convince you to live there--I'm trying to buy a house in the area and I don't need the prices any higher than they are...

Whakatane/Ohope on the beach with beautiful Bay of Plenty weather.Or position yourself in Edgecombe/Kawerau cheaply and access Whkatane(30 mins),Tauranga and Rotarua(1 hr)
    Last edited by everest; 8th October 2018 at 10:01 AM.

Cool

Napier. Beautiful seafront views, but much of the city is on a hill or at elevation. Affordable, cute city center, excellent walk-ability, and away from the crowded population centers. Still big enough to have a Pack N Save and movie theater however. I debated between Napier and Nelson, but Nelson gets too touristy and crowded. Plus its very expensive, and not as warm year round as Hawkes Bay.

We lived in Napier for five years. Might end up going back to Hawke’s Bay...maybe Waimerama, or somewhere.

Snells Beach, Algies Bay, Matakana......near to the town of Warkworth which is set to grow x 5 in the future. AKL an hours drive away, Albany 45 mins. Beaches, Regional Parks, stunning views, peace and quiet if you want it. Winter mild.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast