Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring and insects?

Default Spring and insects?

I arrived in NZ around June, and I was pleasantly surprised to see no insects around whatsoever. Recently, I've been seeing beetles, spiders... even a HUGE daddy longlegs in my room, and I've no idea how on earth it got in with the window and door closed!!

Are insects more prevalent around spring? Anything I can do about them? I think it'd be a bit extreme to get the exterminators round cause I saw a daddylonglegs...

Yes, you will see more insects in spring and summer. Lower temperatures in winter kill some off and make others less active.

They will find their way inside through small gaps in the construction of buildings, and don't need doors and windows. Something like the daddy long legs may have ridden in on your clothes or hair without your noticing. Apart from infestations which could be a health hazard, there is no need for a big reaction - many can just be shown the way out, e.g. pick them up with a glass and a piece of paper. Otherwise, I know people use insecticides of various kinds (brand names Raid and Robocan are some I've seen mentioned). You could get advice at a local hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by althea View Post
    I arrived in NZ around June, and I was pleasantly surprised to see no insects around whatsoever. Recently, I've been seeing beetles, spiders... even a HUGE daddy longlegs in my room, and I've no idea how on earth it got in with the window and door closed!!

Are insects more prevalent around spring? Anything I can do about them? I think it'd be a bit extreme to get the exterminators round cause I saw a daddylonglegs...
    Stay on top of the daddy long-legs...I heard they will attract the white tail spiders (aussie native spider). From what I understand can leave a nasty bite.

White tail menace swells

I almost wish I hadn't posted this now - I'm terrified to death of those things!!

Just to clarify; is daddy long legs the flying bug (crane fly) or a spider ( cellar spider)?

I was referring to the spider....I think they are either Dandy/Daddy Long Legs?

Not the winged Daddy‑Long‑Legs‑Crane‑Fly?

I've said this before on these threads. If someone has a terrible fear of spiders, it would really be worthwhile to get some help in conquering the phobia.

There are no spiders in NZ that are life-threatening, and despite the capital the media make out of white-tail bites, scientists say that the results are no worse than a wasp- or bee-sting. Either of these CAN, in certain sensitized individuals, give rise to serious allergic reactions, and therefore they need to be taken seriously and with care over the hygiene, but otherwise they are 'only' painful and unpleasant.

If you want to keep bugs out of the house then get a robocan or two (I think it is called Raid Automatic now). They work a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to NZ View Post
    I was referring to the spider....I think they are either Dandy/Daddy Long Legs?

LOL just to add to the confusion we call these harvestmen!

Not the winged Daddy‑Long‑Legs‑Crane‑Fly?

These are daddy long legs in NZ (I think)
    I had not heard of whitetails being attracted to a certain type of bug or spider, which is what prompted my initial query. JandM, I hope moving to a county where the spiders are non-poisonous will help me get over my dread but for now it keeps me alert to the black widows
    Last edited by Ana&Steve; 22nd September 2010 at 12:40 PM.

BE WARNED!!!

Spring brings HORDES of flies. (or would that be a swarm?)

Whatever it's called---it's a heckuva lot of flies!

We arrived before "fly season" and were pleasantly surprised by the lack of bugs in NZ! I even wondered what all the birds ate!?

And then the flies came...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast