Thread: Environmental jobs in Wellington area?

Default Environmental jobs in Wellington area?

What, if any, jobs in the environmental sector are out there in the Wellington area?

Specifically, environmental planning, policy/law, conservation land management, etc.

Thanks,

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Have you been looking at https://jobs.govt.nz/? Kind of a clearing house site that govt offices use to post jobs. I note that many jobs hired through recruiters are not listed there, but are on seek.co.nz instead. You might need to be flexible about taking a shorter term contract instead of a permanent job, there have been many lay offs of government workers in the past year.

Large consultant engineering companies such as Beca have their own environmental and planning teams. Virtually all job adverts go onto the Seek and Trade Me websites.

Default Environmental jobs in NZ? Pah!

Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    What, if any, jobs in the environmental sector are out there in the Wellington area?

Specifically, environmental planning, policy/law, conservation land management, etc.

Thanks,
    While I don't like to rain on your parade (so-to-speak as it's not good news) as regards your jobsearch, I can give you some comments based on my own experiences. I'm in the UK and me and my other half have been looking a job in the areas you mention fairly intensively, NZ-wide, for the past two years (the last one of these with our NZ residence visas already in hand so we're already 'allowed' to work there - if only we could find a job!) - and unfortunately we've had not so much as one sniff of interest throughout.

We're not in the country as yet, which is certainly going to be a negative factor regarding our applications. But we're both experienced in our fields - I'm an animal biologist and my OH is an environmental scientist / ecologist and I think the problem - I'd LIKE to think part of the problem - is that the biota of NZ is so radiaclly different from - basically anywhere else - that an ecologist's skill-set, gained abroad, just isn't seen as being transferrable. Anyway that's what I'd like to think.

Added to that is the point that of course NZ as a country has its own environmental legislation - knowledge of and experience in working under NZ's Resource Management Act (RMA) is a prerequisite for many of the jobs we've looked at in the environmental / consulting field (but the good news is you can study and get some sort of diploma in it via an online course - I think the fee's somewhere in region of £500 Sterling to do it).

I see from your other posts that your wife / partner may have a good chance of a job offer in Wellington - which is excellent news if you're planning to emigrate. But if you both work in the environmental field, as we do, I'd seriously reconsider relocating to NZ, as if you haven't experience working in the county already you may find it difficut to find a job. Based on my situation, the reality is you might find your employment prospects severely limited.

If I'd realized my 'long-term-skilled-shortage' occupation wasn't something I could actually get a job in NZ in, I probably wouldn't have begun my emmigration application in the first place. While obviously we want to move to NZ for reasons other than work, we do need to have an income of some sort! And while I'm not totally ruling it out, stacking shelves at the local Pak'n'Save might'nt exactly be seen as 'living the Kiwi dream'....

I have to ask, Forager - but based on your location, have you considered moving to Canada? It'd certainly be next on my list.....