Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should / Can I bring my RV?

Default Should / Can I bring my RV?

Hello All,

First post here as I am obviously new to the forum.

I am currently living in the USA (Idaho) and interviewing for a position in Hamilton, NZ.

My wife and I would like to bring our RV and Jeep over with us, but they are both LHD. I see on the immigration pages that there is an exemption that looks like we could bring the Jeep.

However, I am nervous about the RV.

Any advice would be VERY appreciated.

In what way are you nervous? Do you mean the driving of a LHD vehicle or the legalities of getting it registered?

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    In what way are you nervous? Do you mean the driving of a LHD vehicle or the legalities of getting it registered?
    I mean both of those issues. Can i get BOTH a LHD Jeep AND a LHD RV registered?

Also, most of the RV rental sites I see for NZ appear to have narrower RV's for hire. I am wondering if there are restrictions on the roads which are narrower than here in the US.

I have also seen that some RV parks will not let you stay unless you have been switched over to 240v. My intention is to use solar to continually keep my dual battery bank charged or use my generator as/if necessary.

Sorry for all the questions everyone, I truly have been trying to do my research first, but there is no substitute than the advice of those who may have done it before me.
    Last edited by JeepinBear; 12th March 2010 at 07:37 AM.

I'll have a go but this is really more opinion than fact.

You can get LHD vehicles registered but you can't sell them without getting them converted, so unless you are going to keep them both a very long time or you are planning on taking them home again this might be an issue. Once a vehicle is 20 years old (I think) it is considered a classic and many of the rules are relaxed. You really need professional help on this one as the authorities can be VERY awkward.

As far as campsites go I suspect that if you're not plugging in it won't matter what you do. If you are hooking up, I think that there may be some sort of electrical safety certificate. I doubt whether they would care about the voltage since once you've installed a transformer you ARE a 240V load.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along. A name that has cropped up numerous times on this forum is Wally Gee. It seems he is a helpful and knowledgeable advisor; he works for the AA I think.

Thank you Myles!!

The width thing shouldn't be an issue; I've seen much bigger campers taken into some pretty remote sites.

I can't see the width being a problem, a mate of ours brought in an American Fleetwood, with no problems, he had it converted to RH. when you look at some of the latest m/homes with overhead sleeping they are not what you would call small.

Hello and welcome.

In case you haven't already found this, it may help. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...-vehicles.html

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello and welcome.

In case you haven't already found this, it may help. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...-vehicles.html
    Thank you so much. I had seen others but not this particular Fact Sheet.

It looks as though an immigrant can bring in one vehicle under these regulations. Do you have time to own one each for a year before arriving? Or you might have to try to make one of them compliant. Anyway, the AA, and Wally Gee if he's still there, seems to be who to ask.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast