Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uk Wireless router

Default Uk Wireless router

Hi,

I have a Belkin wireless router (only 6 months old). Does anyone know if it will work in NZ?

Thanks

Phil

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I think (but someone correct me if I'm wrong), the ability of the router to work depends upon the source of the internet.

E.g. we brought an ADSL wireless router to the US with us but because our internet source is cable, it wasn't compatible, so we had to buy a router that was. I would imagine the same could be said of NZ as I think there are global industry standards (again, willing to stand corrected!).

We brought one over from the UK and it works fine here , was about a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    We brought one over from the UK and it works fine here , was about a year old.
    great stuff, something else I hopefully dont need to replace then

Yep ours works fine here too

it should work, but technically it should have a telepermit.

Good Dilbert strip on the topic today

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000...7915.strip.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    it should work, but technically it should have a telepermit.
    If it was a modem/router then yes it would, but AFAIK you don't need a telepermit for a router only. Certainly my NZ bought wireless router doesn't have a telepermit.

Ian

I just found this thread while searching... does anyone know of a way to check whether a UK (or other) wireless router/modem will work in NZ? (short of bringing it over and plugging in? LOL)

I ask because our old one died suddenly last week, so the newbie will only be in use for a month before we move in with my parents.. the plan was to eBay it, if it couldn't be used in NZ.

Whaddayareckon???

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    I just found this thread while searching... does anyone know of a way to check whether a UK (or other) wireless router/modem will work in NZ? (short of bringing it over and plugging in? LOL)

I ask because our old one died suddenly last week, so the newbie will only be in use for a month before we move in with my parents.. the plan was to eBay it, if it couldn't be used in NZ.

Whaddayareckon???
    People are confusing a router with a modem. Technically as long as you can set up the correct IP addresses on a router it will work. The LAN side or wireless side if it is wireless is your domian so nothing will change there. The WAN side will need to be set to whatever the broadband modem requires.

The boradband modem can come in different typse;

Wireless - 3G or W-CDMA
    Cable - if you have cable TV from Telstra
    ADSL
    ADSL 2+
    VDSL
    (Naked DSL comes in either ADSL or ADSL2+ but with no ascoaited telephone service)

The most likely situation is that some people bring over ADSL modems and try to ge them to work on ADSL2+ lines.

Depending on how your ISP set up your Internet account, you need one or more of these configuration parameters to connect your router to the Internet:
    • Multiplexing Method
    • Host and Domain Names
    • ISP Login Name and Password
    • ISP Domain Name Server (DNS) Addresses
    • Fixed or Static IP Address
    Your ISP should have provided you with all the information needed to connect to the Internet. If you cannot locate this information, contact your ISP.

Many devices are combined router/modems. Some let you configure the DSL and IP parameters through the GUI but some are locked down.

Most ISP's will provide a DSL modem as part of the service. If you want to add a wireless router to this, you should be able to plug one of the LAN ports into one of the LAN ports of the wireless router.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast