Thread: Advice please

Default Advice please

I am a corrections officer in the United Kingdom. I am looking to apply to be a corrections officer in New Zealand. Is the wages livable for a single young person in New Zealand ? I am looking to work there myself and start a new life. Any advice would be brilliant.

Hello and welcome.

Hello! Scottish lad here :-). Thanks for the welcome!

You'll want to read this thread and perhaps this one, too.

I have heard that at least some prisons will not accept overseas applicants.

Here is a list of current opportunities and application information.

Quote Originally Posted by buraddo View Post
    You'll want to read this thread and perhaps this one, too.

I have heard that at least some prisons will not accept overseas applicants.

Here is a list of current opportunities and application information.
    I need 4 years service. I have 3 and will apply when I can if there are still vacancies. Was wondering is the salary livable for a single person starting a new life? Thanks ill have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Thebhoy View Post
    Was wondering is the salary livable for a single person starting a new life?
    Well, apparently the starting salary is around $45k according to the government website.

Using tax rates from April 2012, on gross annual income of $44,936.00, after tax and ACC you would take home $717.08 per week

This compares to the minimum wage, which is $13.50 per hour ($455.17 per week in your pocket) and the national average income of $49875 ($789.32 per week take-home).

In Scotland, the starting salary for operations prison officer recruits is £16081, going up to £21400 over five years. The UK average income is £25428. So... relative to the average salary in each country you would make 90.1% of the national average salary in NZ (based on starting salary), vs 84.2% of the national average in the UK (based on salary after 5 years). It sounds like, relative to the local average salaries NZ offers better pay for corrections officers.

You'll need to do some thinking about whether this offers you the standard of living you expect. Also bear in mind there's nay irn bru in New Zealand.

Hello & welcome!

P

Well, apparently the starting salary is around $45k according to the government website.

Using tax rates from April 2012, on gross annual income of $44,936.00, after tax and ACC you would take home $717.08 per week

This compares to the minimum wage, which is $13.50 per hour ($455.17 per week in your pocket) and the national average income of $49875 ($789.32 per week take-home).

In Scotland, the starting salary for operations prison officer recruits is £16081, going up to £21400 over five years. The UK average income is £25428. So... relative to the average salary in each country you would make 90.1% of the national average salary in NZ (based on starting salary), vs 84.2% of the national average in the UK (based on salary after 5 years). It sounds like, relative to the local average salaries NZ offers better pay for corrections officers.

You'll need to do some thinking about whether this offers you the standard of living you expect. Also bear in mind there's nay irn bru in New Zealand.
    Thanks! Im going to pursue this, not much left for me in Scotland, I need a fresh start somewhere else and New Zealand seems to do it for me.

Good luck.

Also bear in mind there's nay irn bru in New Zealand.
    I'm sure I've seen Irn Bru in New Zealand. Maybe it'll get into even more places with its Britvic merger the other day.