Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a farmer stand a chance?!?!

Default Would a farmer stand a chance?!?!

Apologies, I originally posted this in vacancies section.

Hello All!

I have enjoyed reading this forum and found it very insightful and quite inspirational!
    A little bit of background about us may help you kind folk answer my question! OH and I travelled around New Zealand a few years ago and fell in love with the country etc. Made an ambitious plan to return and live permanently one day. I’ve since completed a degree in nursing back here in the UK and am about to begin my first job. Realistically I will need a minimum of two or three years experience so this is not something that will happen overnight.
    My OH is a farmer, born and raised! He has also done gardening and maintenance work but has no professional qualifications. He would love any sort of practical work eg. farming, DOC, conservation, pest control etc.

So I have two questions:
    -In a nation where the male population seem to be fully competent handy men, what work opportunities do you think may exist?
    -Is anybody aware of practical qualifications or certificates that may be well regarded or helpful as he would happily work towards something here in the UK?

Would be really grateful for any information or suggestions people have.

Many thanks

No problem - I've got rid of the duplicate thread. Hello and welcome.

One question that might have a bearing is how old are you folks?

Thank you!

Currently, I am 25 and OH is 28 !!

As your husband was a farmer born & raised, I take it he still works on the farm?.If so I doubt if he would have much trouble getting employment on a farm or orchard because many Kiwi guys won't work in the orchards, say the pay is too low, but if a person is prepared to work they make money.
    As to employment on a farm I know that in some areas dairy farmers are struggling to get staff, and that applies to the sheep/cattle farmer as well.
    To get farm employment it's a possibility that your husband may have to go 'back' into the country a bit, away from towns/cities.
    To get farming/orcharding qualifications there are courses at EIT & at www.primaryito.ac.nz/.‎
    If your husband could get further qualifications from the same sort of education facility in England it surely would help.
    In a nation where the male population seem to be fully competent handy men, what work opportunities do you think may exist
    The 'do it yourself' Kiwi male are not as prevalent as they once were, so anyone who has this 'talent', I wouldn't think they would find it too difficult to get employment in the rural sector.
    The situation at this time is farmers are having to 'bring in' Asians to work the farm.!! (many Kiwis are not interested)
    Last edited by Fern49; 15th January 2014 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks Fern49 for your reply. It is interesting to learn that the kiwis are having to recruit from outside the country to fill the need for farmers. Yes, perhaps it may feel like a 'step down' for my OH but it is just reassuring to know that you are optimistic he would be able to find work. I know it is one thing seeing a job title on a shortage list but actually finding and securing positions is a different matter. Cheers!!

Crazycatlady, Only too pleased to help. Good luck.

This may explain the situation.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farm...n-short-supply

Good Luck.

working on the outer fringes of agriculture here...I hear that dairy farms all over are crying out for stable a work force, too many come for a few months and move on apparently. Would sound worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    My OH is a farmer, born and raised! He has also done gardening and maintenance work but has no professional qualifications. He would love any sort of practical work eg. farming, DOC, conservation, pest control etc.

So I have two questions:
    -In a nation where the male population seem to be fully competent handy men, what work opportunities do you think may exist?
    -Is anybody aware of practical qualifications or certificates that may be well regarded or helpful as he would happily work towards something here in the UK?
    Lots of work available, provided you're not too picky on exactly what you're doing or how much you get paid.

The main skill for handyman or farm hand is being willing and able to work hard and to present a personable and reliable manner to your potential employer. Good references will help, too.

If you have the funds, you might also consider buying a small, inexpensive farm / lifestyle block, and running it yourself. Lots of folks do that, too.

Hi there,
    Me and my wife work in Labor Supply Company. I came here as an international student from Nepal and at moment I am in Job Search Visa and my wife has dependent Work Visa. As my job is not relevant with my study and my wife has got job offer from the employer. Can she apply work visa through the Labor Supply Company if the employer has filled the Employer Supplementary Form?
    Thanks John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast