Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Hand Diesel Cars?

Question Second Hand Diesel Cars?

Hiya to all reading this post

I have recently been searching for second hand cars (trademe.co.nz and dealership websites) and notice that diesel cars seem to be somewhat sparce

I am wondering why? On our last visit to NZ, diesel seemed to be cheaper than unleaded so from a financial point of view (well at least fuel consumption versus cost at the pumps), diesel would still seem to make sense.

Does anyone know if there are more taxes/additional charges for those people with diesel cars in NZ? Or indeed any other financial implications for diesel owners?

I like the Volkswagen Bora (I have a 1.9TDI here in the UK), but when I did a search for a similar model, I could only find petrol equivalents. I had trouble locating diesel models for other makes too.

Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers

Liam

Yes, there is a surcharge on diesel cars. I suppose you could call it a 'green tax'.

My OH found out about it - I think it's charged per mile.

I'm sure someone on the forum will have more precise details.

Diesel is cheaper because instead of the road user levy being included in the price of the fuel, you have to pay it seperately - and it's this extra bit of hassle that makes petrol cars more common in NZ.

For a diesel car you need to get a road user licence from a Post Shop or the AA. You can buy them in 1,000km lots and you need to buy another 1,000km before you've run out of the first 1,000km. You can also buy several thousand at once, but I don't think you can get a refund or transfer them to another vehicle.

At present, the 1,000km block costs about $32. - Also be careful if you're buying a diesel second hand because if the present owner hasn't paid for the kilometers they've driven then you as new owner becomes liable for the short fall...
    Last edited by wiki; 25th May 2007 at 03:54 AM.

Thumbs up Petrol Car it is then!!

Thanks for the info guys....

From what you have said, it would appear that the easiest thing to do is buy a petrol car! As I recall, the difference in prices isn't that big anyway....

I always fancied the 2.3L V5 Bora....now is my chance Hee Hee

Thanks Again....

Liam

If you want any more details regarding the Road User Charges then the following link might be useful?

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/38.html

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by wiki View Post
    Also be careful if you're buying a diesel second hand because if the present owner hasn't paid for the kilometers they've driven then you as new owner becomes liable for the short fall...
    Does this mean there's an even greater incentive in NZ for sellers to "clock" diesel vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    If you want any more details regarding the Road User Charges then the following link might be useful?

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/38.html

Ian

Ian

Cheers fella. Really good info....

Liam

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Does this mean there's an even greater incentive in NZ for sellers to "clock" diesel vehicles?
    The incentive may be there, but I've not heard of it being a specific problem.

Hi Guys,
    Due to WOF (MoT) every six months on most cars in NZ, it would mean clocking the car twice a year. With more and more cars having digital dashes making clocking impossible without a PC, software and the right leads/dongle I doubt the problem is that prolific.
    However on a clocking note, it is a massive problem on cars imported from Japan to NZ (& the UK), normally between shipping and registration in NZ.
    Caveat emptor!
    James

Got a Kiwi lad just started working on our farm and he tells me that when he left, last week, that petrol was 1.6 NZD/l and diesel was1NZD/l and in his opinion diesel would be cheaper option to run, but still cant make up my mind whether to take ours

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast