Thread: Some questions on getting a will done up in NZ

Default Some questions on getting a will done up in NZ

Hi everyone,

Need some help about making a will. Recently, I bought a house and the lawyer has offered to write up a will for me FOC. A few questions:

1. Is it really free? Are there any hidden charges? Has anyone paid any type of fees in relation to this?
    2. The lawyer said she will execute the will for me in the event I expire....must I appoint her for that? coz I would rather appoint my sibling than an external party, but my siblings are not NZ residents. Can foreigners be appointed as an executor in NZ?
    3. What about my overseas assets? Should I write a will specially for NZ assets only or a combined will covering more than one territory?
    4. Must wills be lodged somewhere (say a national register or something like that) for it to be valid?
    5. Any other considerations?

Appreciate it.....

If you have your lawyer as Executor, it usually is free of charge. Her name would be mentioned on the document as such. Wills do not have to be lodged anywhere to be legal.

Thanks Fern 49. She said she will charge me for executing the will....

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsyjnr View Post
    Thanks Fern 49. She said she will charge me for executing the will....
    Yes some do. Is there a Community Law office in the area,? they will advise free of charge in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    Yes some do. Is there a Community Law office in the area,? they will advise free of charge in many cases.
    The Public Trust is an independent Government agency which will help you either for free or at negligible cost.