Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Resident to Permanent Residence

Timeline for my partner.
    Application sent - 07/09
    Money deducted - 14/09
    Received Email - 17/09
    Approval email received 21/09

We have not received our passport back yet.

Hello, just wondering, if the principal applicant arrived in NZ on a resident visa 4 months before the partner (secondary applicant), can both people apply for permanent resident visas as soon as the principal applicant qualifies, or do they have to wait until the secondary applicant has lived 2 years in NZ? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshinenz View Post
    Hello, just wondering, if the principal applicant arrived in NZ on a resident visa 4 months before the partner (secondary applicant), can both people apply for permanent resident visas as soon as the principal applicant qualifies, or do they have to wait until the secondary applicant has lived 2 years in NZ? Thanks.
    As per RV1.20(b), usually the only requirement for the grant of a Permanent Resident Visa to a non-principal applicant is that the principal applicant must hold (or is granted) a Permanent Resident Visa.

There are four exceptions to this (and if any of these exceptions apply to your situation, you will both need to apply for Permanent Resident Visas and meet the criteria individually and separately):

• The non-principal applicant is excluded by the provisions of RV2.1; or
    • One of the provisions requiring a non-principal applicant to be assessed independently of the principal applicant applies (RV1.20.1 to RV1.20.20); or
    • The non-principal applicant has never been in New Zealand as a resident (as required by RV1.5(d)); or
    • The non-principal applicant does not meet the character requirements for residence as documented at A5 (unless given a special direction or granted a character waiver), or falls under RV1.25.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 22nd September 2020 at 02:09 PM.

@kelerei, thanks very much for your help!

Hi All,
    Below is my partner timeline for Residence to Permanent Residence Visa.

Application sent - 14 July 2020
    Money deducted - 17 July 2020
    Application received email - 18 July 2020
    Received passport back - 04 Aug 2020
    Called INZ to check status on - 11 Sep 2020 - Application allocated to immigration officer since 13 August 2020 and in process.

Today we have completed the 49 days of application waiting timeline counting backwards to 18 Jul. This is maximum application processing time for Permanent Resident Visa.
    Should we call immigration nz again and check the status? Let me know your thoughts. Wondering why this is taking too much time. Some other applications as posted in thread are approved within few weeks. Strange!!!

Regards
    Danny

Notice, timings quoted by INZ, either on their website or by a CO or call answerer, are never a promise, only their best guess. That "maximum" processing time isn't a rule - it's just what is hoped for. All cases are processed individually, with each person's evidence having to be checked, and the cases aren't exactly the same, so it's entirely logical that the work on one case can take longer than that done on another. Also, don't forget that there has been and continues to be a lot of disruption of INZ's work due to the pandemic situation.

There's no harm in asking for an update on your case, but remember, if the CO is still working it, that will be all the call answerer can tell you. Nobody gets to know, step by step, exactly what the CO is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by danny29 View Post
    Hi All,
    Below is my partner timeline for Residence to Permanent Residence Visa.

Application sent - 14 July 2020
    Money deducted - 17 July 2020
    Application received email - 18 July 2020
    Received passport back - 04 Aug 2020
    Called INZ to check status on - 11 Sep 2020 - Application allocated to immigration officer since 13 August 2020 and in process.

Today we have completed the 49 days of application waiting timeline counting backwards to 18 Jul. This is maximum application processing time for Permanent Resident Visa.
    Should we call immigration nz again and check the status? Let me know your thoughts. Wondering why this is taking too much time. Some other applications as posted in thread are approved within few weeks. Strange!!!

Regards
    Danny
    Mine certainly took more than 49 days to get approved. I posted my application earlier than you (late June) and only got an approval last Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by harry.singh View Post
    Timeline for my partner.
    Application sent - 07/09
    Money deducted - 14/09
    Received Email - 17/09
    Approval email received 21/09

We have not received our passport back yet.
    Congratulations Harry! I sent mine 15/08 and still waiting...ugh

My partner applied for her permanent residence this month. We also paid for the physical sticker in passport.

Application delivered: 01/09
    Money deducted: 07/09
    Received email: 09/09
    Passport with permanent residence sticker in it received: 24/09

Haven't received an approval email or anything, but I presume it is fine as we got the passport back now with the sticker. It is dated as starting the 21/09
    Last edited by herodias; 24th September 2020 at 10:01 AM.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast