Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic/Manual Cars

Default Automatic/Manual Cars

I have been talking with one of our neighbours and he said something that got me thinking.
    He has just purchased a manual car after years of driving automatics in New Zealand and I asked him if he had to take another test and he replyed no.
    Now in the UK if you pass your test in an automatic vehicle you cannot drive a manual car and I would have thought the same would apply here.
    I have looked on the govt website and can't really find anything.
    If this is the case then it would mean Caroline who passed her test in the UK in an automatic vehicle would be able to drive a manual here although she probably would struggle with it.
    Does anyone know the correct procedure here.
    I remember speaking to an American several years ago who had difficulty finding an automatic car to rent in the UK as he could only drive automatic .
    Look forward to your replys on this one

Dave and Caroline

Well my searching, found the following:-

Land Transport (Driver Licensing) Amendment Rule 2006/1

Phases for implementation – what’s happening when?
    Most of the changes come into effect on 1 June 2006. These include:

Removal of the “automatic only” condition to allow older drivers who take their test in an automatic vehicle to drive both an automatic and a manual vehicle (unless that condition was imposed for medical reasons).
    So it looks like if you passed your test in an automatic, you are now able to also drive a manual in NZ (if you are an older driver?).

Restricted drivers still have to drive an automatic if they passed their test in an automatic though.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Well my searching, found the following:-

So it looks like if you passed your test in an automatic, you are now able to also drive a manual in NZ (if you are an older driver?).

Restricted drivers still have to drive an automatic if they passed their test in an automatic though.

Ian
    Thanks for this Ian,
    What do they classify as an older driver?
    Caroline has been driving for some 20 years so in this incidence she should be able to drive a manual although if you have never driven one before there is quite a difference so I would say the UK way of thinking is probably the right way. Any other thoughts on this

Dave and Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline and Dave View Post
    Thanks for this Ian,
    What do they classify as an older driver?
    Caroline has been driving for some 20 years so in this incidence she should be able to drive a manual although if you have never driven one before there is quite a difference so I would say the UK way of thinking is probably the right way. Any other thoughts on this

Dave and Caroline
    LTSA classifies those over 75 "Older Drivers", and you have you renew the licence at 75, 80 and then every two years after that.
    They need a Drs cert to say they are still capable of driving and then renewal is issued. If your Dr thinks you are fit but is unsure about driving ability then they you are required to sit an On Road Safety test.

I've just had to arrange all this for my boyfriend's granny - so I know far too much about it!

Can't help with the manual/automatic question though. It seems crazy that you can change from an automatic to a manual without any sort of test - it's a completely different way of driving.

Yep, you can ignore my last post as it is specifically for older drivers.

There are plenty of details for driving whilst restricted e.g. can only drive an automatic if past restricted license in automatic, but none afterwards. This implies to me that you are able to drive manual or automatic if you have a full license.

Did find this snippet of info on a driving school website:-

If I start in an automatic, is that all I can drive?
    You may learn to drive an automatic and when you pass your restricted licence you will be restricted to automatic cars only. After passing your full licence you will be permitted to drive a manual without further testing or instruction.
    So it does look like you can drive either (would still like an official statement).

Ian

I spoke to the salesman this evening who sold us our 2nd car and he said that as far as he was aware you can drive manual or automatic in New Zealand and that there is no specific test to drive manuals in NZ. He regulary drives manuals and passed his test on an automatic.Seems a bit daft to me but there you go.So in the UK Caroline cannot drive a manual but she can in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline and Dave View Post
    I spoke to the salesman this evening who sold us our 2nd car and he said that as far as he was aware you can drive manual or automatic in New Zealand and that there is no specific test to drive manuals in NZ. He regulary drives manuals and passed his test on an automatic.Seems a bit daft to me but there you go.So in the UK Caroline cannot drive a manual but she can in New Zealand.
    I would verify that with LTSA if I were you. I wouldn't rely on something a salesman said to me - especially if he was selling you a car at the time!
    One of my friends here passed in an automatic and as a clause on her licence it states she can only drive automatics.

In the US you get a license to drive both types with one license (though you need different ones for large trucks and motorcycles). They don't check what type of car you took your test on.
    If you pass the test to drive, you can drive on whatever. I guess they hope you have enough sense not to be driving a manual if you don't know how.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    I would verify that with LTSA if I were you. I wouldn't rely on something a salesman said to me - especially if he was selling you a car at the time!
    One of my friends here passed in an automatic and as a clause on her licence it states she can only drive automatics.
    Well I phoned their help line and guess what.They did not know the answer so they are going to look into it and email me. I will let you know in due course.Caroline is never going to drive a manual as she likes automatics too much but I Thought it was something I should find out

Dave and Caroline

I never thought there would be a difference in licenses for automatic vs manual. Wow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast