Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favona Manukau City

Lightbulb Favona Manukau City

Hi all,
    Can you please comment Favona? Is it safe? In general, what kind of people are living there?
    The houses look good and the price is more affordable.
    Thanks all!

Favona is a low-socio economic suburb which borders Mangere in an area known as South Auckland. It isn't a great suburb exactly but in Auckland, housing is expensive and I agree you should buy with what you can afford and maybe upgrade later. If you have a little more cash, consider Onehunga which is a better class suburb and has more facilities and amenities.

Better yet consider Waitakere suburbs like New Lynn (which is closer to the city centre) or Ranui (West Auckland) which are suburbs that are rising fast in value and undergoing quite a lot of urban renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    Favona is a low-socio economic suburb which borders Mangere in an area known as South Auckland. It isn't a great suburb exactly but in Auckland, housing is expensive and I agree you should buy with what you can afford and maybe upgrade later. If you have a little more cash, consider Onehunga which is a better class suburb and has more facilities and amenities.

Better yet consider Waitakere suburbs like New Lynn (which is closer to the city centre) or Ranui (West Auckland) which are suburbs that are rising fast in value and undergoing quite a lot of urban renewal.
    Thank you so much batgirl1001.
    I want to live at Southern part or Eastern part of Auckland as my son may study in an unzoned school in this area. Therefore, I am looking for a suburban which is safe with reasonable price houses. I don't need shopping mall. Do you think Fovana is a safe suburban?
    Thanks a lot!

It's just a poor suburb with a high concentration of Maori/Polynesian population. It's very near to the airport so expect some noise there and it is somewhat industrial in nature. If you ask me if it is pleasant to live there? I would say no. I would not want to. There are quite a few poor houses with wire fencing and unkempt gardens. Personally I don't like the neighbourhood and its lack of amenities.

About safety, I wouldn't know beyond statistics. South Auckland has the highest crime rate in NZ for housebreakings and burglaries. But South Auckland covers quite a large area which includes suburbs like Otara, Mangere etc. The term though, has a lot of negative connotation and generally denotes an undesirable place to live and be in. Despite that, its house prices are climbing steadily as people are desperately looking for affordable housing in Auckland.

The bright spots in South Auckland I can see are suburbs like Weymouth, Mangere Bridge, Flat Bush etc. They are more pleasant. But given a choice I would live in East Auckland in suburbs like Pakuranga, Botany etc where it is much more pleasant, multicultural and with many convenient amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    It's just a poor suburb with a high concentration of Maori/Polynesian population. It's very near to the airport so expect some noise there and it is somewhat industrial in nature. If you ask me if it is pleasant to live there? I would say no. I would not want to. There are quite a few poor houses with wire fencing and unkempt gardens. Personally I don't like the neighbourhood and its lack of amenities.

About safety, I wouldn't know beyond statistics. South Auckland has the highest crime rate in NZ for housebreakings and burglaries. But South Auckland covers quite a large area which includes suburbs like Otara, Mangere etc. The term though, has a lot of negative connotation and generally denotes an undesirable place to live and be in. Despite that, its house prices are climbing steadily as people are desperately looking for affordable housing in Auckland.

The bright spots in South Auckland I can see are suburbs like Weymouth, Mangere Bridge, Flat Bush etc. They are more pleasant. But given a choice I would live in East Auckland in suburbs like Pakuranga, Botany etc where it is much more pleasant, multicultural and with many convenient amenities.
    I see.
    Thank you very much for your detailed reply, indeed.

Hi nzapplicant,

I would like to echo what batgirl1001 has said by completely recommending against Favona. It is one of the poorest areas of Auckland (it is just as bad as Mangere/Clover Park/Papatoetoe etc.) and mainly contains very poor state housing, flats and unkempt private housing, as well as a large Polynesian population. The prices are "reasonable" for a reason! The best areas of "South Auckland" would probably be Wattle Downs, The Gardens (to the east of Manurewa), Totara/Goodwood Heights, most of the new part of Flat Bush and small pockets of Papatoetoe (although these are close to other poor areas so not necessarily ideal). Almost the entire Howick Peninsula is upmarket, quiet and beautiful. Mangere Bridge can go either way pretty quickly (there is definitely some rough streets on the east side) however the western part of the suburb is very nice and quiet (a bit of a secret to many people).

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask. We're happy to help

Ansistent

Thank you very much, Ansistent for your valuable comments.
    I will try to look for houses in the district you recommend.
    You are so kind and helpful. I am blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansistent View Post
    Hi nzapplicant,

I would like to echo what batgirl1001 has said by completely recommending against Favona. It is one of the poorest areas of Auckland (it is just as bad as Mangere/Clover Park/Papatoetoe etc.) and mainly contains very poor state housing, flats and unkempt private housing, as well as a large Polynesian population. The prices are "reasonable" for a reason! The best areas of "South Auckland" would probably be Wattle Downs, The Gardens (to the east of Manurewa), Totara/Goodwood Heights, most of the new part of Flat Bush and small pockets of Papatoetoe (although these are close to other poor areas so not necessarily ideal). Almost the entire Howick Peninsula is upmarket, quiet and beautiful. Mangere Bridge can go either way pretty quickly (there is definitely some rough streets on the east side) however the western part of the suburb is very nice and quiet (a bit of a secret to many people).

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask. We're happy to help

Ansistent
    Hi Ansistent,
    I have checked the districts your recommended. I like The Gardens. Houses there look tidy and nice.
    Do you know what sorts of neighbors are? the ethnic group?

Hi nzapplicant,

The Gardens does certainly have some nice properties! Most of them are large and modern, yet much cheaper than an equivalent large house closer to Auckland CBD! Definitely a good value area. The ethnic make-up of the area at the 2013 Census was: 58.1% European/Pakehas, 10% Maori, 9.7% Pacific Islanders, 28% Asians (includes all Asian countries). This means there is a much lower proportion of Maori and Pacific Islanders, as well as a much lower ranking on the social deprivation index, than all of the surronding suburbs (except Totara/Goodwood Heights). It is overall a middle-upper class area, although compared to the rest of "South Auckland", it is very much an upper class area!

If you need any more info, feel free to ask. I am more than happy to help

Ansistent

I'd like to suggest that you go to NZ Herald which is doing a profile right now on Auckland affordable housing. If you go to the interactive map, you will find what you can get for how much you are willing to pay.

If you take the standard measurement $120,000 deposit (20%) on a $600,000 property in The Gardens, you will virtually afford nearly 0% of houses in the suburb, which basically means you need to stump up more money.

It's a useful map and it allows you to make more practical decisions on where to live, what you can afford to buy or loan etc.

$600,000 is what most first-time home buyers are looking at when buying. If you have more, like within the price range of high 700s- 800s, you will be comfortable in many nice suburbs in Manukau with plenty of good choices for homes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast