Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile broadband

Default Mobile broadband

We are landing on Feb 12 @ Wellington and I may have to work from the service apartments few days of the week until we settle down on the long term rental property. I did checkout the vodafone website and the costs are quite high for a prepaid broadband (80$ for 5 GB)

Are there any alternatives when it comes to prepaid broadband @ Wellington. I will most likely be spending time @ CBD for 1-2 weeks until we get the rental property around Hutt suburbs.

Thanks.

We have skinny broadband in our flat (up in Kelburn) which is working a treat (no landline needed etc as it uses 4G similar to your mobile). You could set it up in the first place and when you move all you need to do is advise Skinny that you've changed address and they will update information for you.

Also no contract etc. $150 for the device and then $52/month for 100gb.

https://www.skinny.co.nz/broadband/?...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks ross-bal4.

After intensive google search yesterday, I managed to find out about prepay skinny broadband. I am doubtful whether 100GB will be sufficient enough for me to work from the apartment for few days in a week. But it is much better than the other providers for mobile broadband.

Does skinny provide a 4GB sim card which needs to be inserted onto this modem/router ? Cos skinny router costs 99$ and i was hoping to get a cheaper alternative here in Singapore if possible.

Don't remember there being a sim card when I set it up. Modem arrived in a box, simply plugged it in and followed the setup instructions. Was extremely simple and set up in minutes. 100gb isn't the most but its good being no contract.

Quote Originally Posted by ross-bal4 View Post
    Don't remember there being a sim card when I set it up. Modem arrived in a box, simply plugged it in and followed the setup instructions. Was extremely simple and set up in minutes. 100gb isn't the most but its good being no contract.
    Ohh..in that case i will probably stick to the modem from Skinny rather than buying an off market one.

Quote Originally Posted by nms.sun3 View Post
    Thanks ross-bal4.

After intensive google search yesterday, I managed to find out about prepay skinny broadband. I am doubtful whether 100GB will be sufficient enough for me to work from the apartment for few days in a week. But it is much better than the other providers for mobile broadband.

Does skinny provide a 4GB sim card which needs to be inserted onto this modem/router ? Cos skinny router costs 99$ and i was hoping to get a cheaper alternative here in Singapore if possible.
    Holy smokes. What do you do? When I had a 50 GB/mo subscription, I watched a few hours of video a day and didn't ever use the full 50 GB. It's pretty hard to use 100 GB unless you're doing loads of video or some heavy lifting data stuff. Are you sure you haven't confused M with G?

How fast is the broadband in New Zealand?

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrubber View Post
    Holy smokes. What do you do? When I had a 50 GB/mo subscription, I watched a few hours of video a day and didn't ever use the full 50 GB. It's pretty hard to use 100 GB unless you're doing loads of video or some heavy lifting data stuff. Are you sure you haven't confused M with G?
    I m pretty sure that i havent confused M with G as i work on the technology side of things. I havent factored in the personal use of broadband but only the office use where i connect to a virtual desktop from home to perform my work. the virtual desktop or VDI eats up substantial amount of data every time its loaded on my personal notebook. I have an unlimited connection @ Singapore and i dont worry about data till date.

Quote Originally Posted by route46 View Post
    How fast is the broadband in New Zealand?
    It depends on the type of connection you opt for. ADSL/VDSL are of lower speeds when compared to the Fibre connection as the cost. Not all locations has Fibre connectivity as the govt is rolling out in a phased manner. I anticipate the main hubs like Auckland/Wellington/Chch will have fibre connectivity.

We live in Auckland and uses Spark. We signed up for 12 months contract for around $100 but we got unlimited fibre connectivity (really fast, we got around 90Mbs) Plus it included Lightbox subscription which has lots of US TV shows we normally watch. However, the ping time could be about 100ms so not sure how it will affect virtual desktop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast