Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Mail Forwarding - how reliable?

Default Royal Mail Forwarding - how reliable?

We've been having post forwarded from the UK for about 16 months now.
    It seems to of been working fine and good value for money.

In the last month we have been contacted twice by senders of mail that letters have been returned to them as "not at this address" i.e. the forwarding has not worked.

Both of these have been A4 magazines, one in a clear envelope (Good Housekeeping) the other in a white paper envelope. Other magazines we get have been arriving OK.

Once people have had this set up and working how reliable have you found it?

We are now wondering what else is going missing.!

Thanks

HI Nellyt

We have had nothing but trouble for last 18mths, i have just given up on it now!

Letters still going to old house, letter taking 6wks to get here, letters never getting here - nightmare!

Also - birthday cards have been rec'd here opened up thankfully no cash in them!

To add to it, MIL sent a parcel 8wks ago to our son and its never got here!
    So disappointing - they are both on a pension, and the gift alone cost enough without postage - we keep praying it may find its way but not looking like it now unfortunately!

Sharon
    x

I currently have mail-forwarding from my old UK address to my parents address. I set this up for 3 months as we didn't have a rental address initially in NZ.

So far the service has been hit and miss - my parents are receiving post for the new tenants and the tenants are receiving post addressed to me. I was going to set this up for a year out to NZ, but feel it will be pointless to have somebody else's mail being sent all this way. Luckily my parents only live 5 minutes drive from the house, so have been swapping the mail amongst themselves and then they forward important paperwork out to me. TBH I think it would be cheaper and more reliable for my parents and the tenants to arrange a weekly handover themselves than for me to pay Royal Mail to cock it up any longer.

Lx

Quote Originally Posted by YouMeAndThree View Post
    I currently have mail-forwarding from my old UK address to my parents address. I set this up for 3 months as we didn't have a rental address initially in NZ.

So far the service has been hit and miss - my parents are receiving post for the new tenants and the tenants are receiving post addressed to me. I was going to set this up for a year out to NZ, but feel it will be pointless to have somebody else's mail being sent all this way. Luckily my parents only live 5 minutes drive from the house, so have been swapping the mail amongst themselves and then they forward important paperwork out to me. TBH I think it would be cheaper and more reliable for my parents and the tenants to arrange a weekly handover themselves than for me to pay Royal Mail to cock it up any longer.

Lx

Same thing happened with my sister - she kept having to go and collect my mail from the people who bought our house - they got bit feb up of it in end!
    Also, never knew whether they had opened and kept any.............

Sharon
    x

My ex landlord told me that they often got mail in their empty houses (or which had been let to new tennants) that were supposed to have been redirected. Not all that reliable, it seems.

Hm, well either I've been lucky or I'm living in blissful ignorance, but...

Judging by the backlog of six months mail in the process of being file, catalogued and actioned in chronological order (I know, I know, head in sand, dull, dull, DULL!) it sure looks like everything is getting to me!! I mean, even redirected "junk mail" as well as no end of catalogues, brochures and magazines are all winging their way out here and filling my post box on a depressingly regular basis. Shucks, maybe I just got lucky

Back to aforementioned pile...

Snap Kate D
    although I tempoary set up a redirection in the UK before we moved wrong thing to do as this confused the Royal Mail bless them when we arrived we didnot have any redirections mail for 4 weeks all of a sudden we had shed loads including magzines I had cancelled etc but also improtant documents that should have actually reached us before we left and now having a nightmare to sort. One funny thing was are UK credit cards whichI have yet to shut down September statement arrived in the backlog on the Monday and Octobers on the Tuesday um good job I had settled Septembers before the cut off date.
    Due to the inefficiences of the RM we are being hounded my car financing people as I have stopped the DD (we handed the car back to them as agreed on 13/9) but because this little bit of paper has not being filled in they think we have stolen it the fact the car has been sitting on the UK forecourt for the last 6 weeks at one of the dealerships means nothing they need this bit of paper. It has taken more stress and cutting of red tape to cancel everything in the UK than coming here and setting up things where I have no permanent address no credit history etc
    Be warned make you double and tripple check everything is cancelled and agreed before you board the flight!

Very hit and miss. I had a book posted to me from the USA that went back to the USA with the address crossed out. Some stuff arrived, some didn't. Mind you the Royal Mail was a bit like that anyway in my area, to be honest.

I am getting post addressed to my daughter who is still in the UK at old address. The sorting office don't care that I only paid for my named post to be redirected to NZ. Not a huge problem really cos I just send it back to her but she was a tad upset this week when I received some of her birthday cards!!

I had mail redirected from one London address to another when I moved some years ago. I got mail, I thought it was working. But, as Kate D suggested, I was living in blissful ignorance. A couple of years after moving I got a call on my mobile (I'd had the same mobile number for donkey's years). It was from a Swiss couple I'd met and got friendly with when I was travelling in Bali after my first trip to NZ. We met and had a great 'catch up' and they told me that they had sent me an invitiation to their wedding - to my old address during the time I was paying for redirection :-(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast