Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen ... in New Zealand

Default Has anyone seen ... in New Zealand

Hello wonderful forumites. I did a site search and didn't see a recent thread on this, so I wanted to give it a go. I was thinking that people who are about to make the move (like us) usually have a ton of questions about whether a particular item is available in New Zealand. If we had a running list, it would be easy for people to see all the items at once, and either give a reply or keep an eye out for that item (if you're already in NZ). In some cases, those who may have already tried to bring in an item can advise on whether it's allowed to be brought in by suitcase or not.

For example, I would like to know if anyone has seen:

Chickory coffee (does this give away my Southern roots?)
    Frantoia olive oil
    OTC Zyrtec or Claritin (it's OTC in the USA, but not sure about NZ, and my allergies are wicked)
    Kinesio Tape (also called K-tape)
    Two new knees (I'm in desperate need )

If you guys think it's a good idea, and I haven't missed an already running thread somewhere , please add on more items and respond if you have seen that item, and where.
    Last edited by redsheesha; 21st August 2010 at 06:52 AM.

Not sure about Zyrtec or Claritin. But Fexofenadine (Allegra) is OTC. Does it work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by redsheesha View Post
    OTC Zyrtec or Claritin (it's OTC in the USA, but not sure about NZ, and my allergies are wicked)
    Both are available OTC, though they would be cheaper with a prescription.

This is a bit random but something I wish I had brought with me is a big tub of Crisco - I like to make my own biscuits (I'm speaking American here) and although I used white Flora in England I haven't been able to find a close white Flora/Crisco substitute here in NZ. So for any Americans who like to make biscuits, or any British people who use white Flora for baking, you might want to bring some with you (if it's allowed!).

Instaed of Zyretc, try Razene, it is a lot cheaper and available in the pharmacies without prescription. You might have to ask for it, not all pharmacies display it openly.

Is there something special about the olive oil? You know that there is wonderful New Zealand Olive oil available? :-)

Great, thanks for the replies! What are the costs of Allegra, Zyrtec, and Razene? Is it significantly cheaper with a prescription?

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Is there something special about the olive oil? You know that there is wonderful New Zealand Olive oil available? :-)
    Oh, I'm looking forward to some great olive oil! I was just curious. Frantoia is just a special olive oil that I like. I don't plan on bringing any over. Now chickory coffee, I definitely will if possible

Quote Originally Posted by redsheesha View Post
    Great, thanks for the replies! What are the costs of Allegra, Zyrtec, and Razene? Is it significantly cheaper with a prescription?

Antihistamines of any type are WAY cheaper on prescription! Most one-a-day over the counter ones work out about 75c to $1 per tablet, or at least they did last summer. I can get 3 months worth on prescription (90 tablets of razene), plus one repeat (another 3 months) for a cost of $3 each, i.e. total cost of $6 for 6 months worth. Of course, you'll need to add the cost of seeing a GP on top of this but if you see a Dr for anything else you can ask them to write out a script for the antihistamines at the same time, and save yourself a forntune.

Without meaning to be rude, can I suggest some of you try www.google.co.nz if you haven't already, because you will find the things you are looking for a whole lot easier and quicker than .com or .co.uk searches.

A quick search for chicory coffee on www.google.co.nz brings up many, many results. e.g http://www.goldenfields.co.nz/chicory.php

Kinesio Tape http://www.kinesiotaping.co.nz/
    Last edited by Ngeru; 21st August 2010 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    Antihistamines of any type are WAY cheaper on prescription! Most one-a-day over the counter ones work out about 75c to $1 per tablet, or at least they did last summer. I can get 3 months worth on prescription (90 tablets of razene), plus one repeat (another 3 months) for a cost of $3 each, i.e. total cost of $6 for 6 months worth. Of course, you'll need to add the cost of seeing a GP on top of this but if you see a Dr for anything else you can ask them to write out a script for the antihistamines at the same time, and save yourself a forntune.

Wow, that's good to know. I will be looking through all the healthcare related threads in the next few weeks to become more familiar with the way things work, but good to know it's so much cheaper with a prescription. Hopefully I can go back on allergy shots, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngeru View Post
    Without meaning to be rude, can I suggest some of you try www.google.co.nz if you haven't already, because you will find the things you are looking for a whole lot easier and quicker than .com or .co.uk searches.

A quick search for chicory coffee on www.google.co.nz brings up many, many results. e.g http://www.goldenfields.co.nz/chicory.php

Kinesio Tape http://www.kinesiotaping.co.nz/
    Thanks, Ngeru. I know I can google stuff, I was more giving an example of what I was wanting to check for off the top of my head. I see so many posts of people looking for this or that or wishing they'd brought one particular item or brand for cooking or whatever. I just thought it might be handy for people to post those questions in one ongoing thread.

That's wonderful news about the chickory - it's not easy to find in the NE part of the US. I've had to buy all mine at home and fly back up with it or have it shipped, and I live in NYC, the home of a bajillion coffee shops.

Since no one's mentioned the new knees... I'm pretty sure you can't bring those packed in your luggage, bio-security would have a fit, but if you attach them on your person you may be able to get away with it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast