Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking 'cheap' furniture

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    Glenda have you considered just hiring an empty container and packing it your selves. Its what we did and provided you get everything packed in boxes before hand the actual packing of the container is easy.
    I will look into that, thanks. I have always done the packing myself in the past and moved most of the furniture (hubby has a knack of disappearing on 'business'). : It just would have been nice for once to have someone else doing it, especially since I will have other things to deal with a few days after - our emigration!

Meanwhile, PSS said all our furniture would fit into a 20ft container if we just ditched the kids wardrobes. No probs - a lot of NZ houses have fitted wardrobes anyway. But what a difference to Allied Pickford's insistence on a 40ft container! We were so shocked we forgot to ask "how much?". Think I had better wait for the official quotes to come back before making any more comments about shipping companies in case they have added up wrong. :

Glenda.

Glenda

I doubt they've added it up wrong. We had several quotes, all of them a million miles away from the last. Some told us we'd be OK with a 20ft and have room to spare, other said we need a 20ft but it will be tight and we may want to consider leaving a couple of items behind, others said a 40ft and no chance of anything smaller.

In the end we just went through each quote & glossy brochure and made a decision which company to go with. Then I phoned all the companies and played one off against the other, ended up getting a good reduction.

I don't think there's any right or wrong way of doing it, tere comes a point when we have to put ourselves in the hands of the shippers .... which is quite a scary thought.

Diny

We brought 3 wardrobes and so far haven't seen a house without them built in. My advice would be bring them if you have room but if not ditch them. Anything else bring it, there is a good second hand market and as Amanda said houses tend to be larger so more space to fill .

Michelle

Wow I just compared prices of simplydesign with our (dutch) Ikea :eek
    I think buying a 40 container and fill up with Ikea goodies after you get your own goods in,
    could finance the container costs!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12