Thread: Qualifications?

Post Qualifications?

Please could anyone out there tell me what type of qualifications year 11/12 students take eg. A level etc?
    How does the NZ system compare to UK?

A 2ndary school teacher tried to explain this to me last week, but it sounded sooo complicated, I just glazed over. Something to do with standards, and you can't fail, and is nothing like A levels, but is good. Hope someone can be more lucid than me.

The NZ system is very different to the UK system. Students work towards the NCEA (National Certificate in Educational Achievement). The following SECONDARY STUDENT GUIDE may be helpful.
    Last edited by Sam'n'Kelv; 20th February 2007 at 09:43 PM.

Thank you Sam n Kelv
    Another question you may be able to answer: Are NZ qualifications recognised everywhere? If our children wanted to come back to the UK at 18yrs would they have to re-take UK style?

I've copy/pasted the following from the FAQ PAGE on the NCEA website.

Is NCEA recognised internationally?

NCEA is New Zealand's national qualification for school learners.

It is recognised by universities and other tertiary providers in New Zealand.

This means that NCEA is recognised overseas, just as University Bursaries was in the past.

NCEA is also a qualification on the National Qualifications Framework.

* NCEA Level 1 is broadly equivalent to the English General Certificate of Education (GCE).

* Level 3 is broadly equivalent to English A Levels and Australia's Higher School Certificate.

* The University Entrance standard (required for entrance to university by school leavers) is based on NCEA credits. Polytechnics and other tertiary institutions will use NCEA results when enrolling students.