Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Telecom broadband

Yep, wireless router will work over here (well mine did - a Netgear DG834G) as ADSL is similar to the UK version (although it's VC based as opposed to LLC, but most routers should be able to play on both systems)

I may have to leave all my gear here. All our electrics work on 110. Thankfully, the computer has a switch on the power supply. However, almost all other stuff needs a converter.

My idea for most of this stuff is to get one converter, then run a compatible surge protector strip from that. That should be fine.

Right?

ADSL2 (twice as fast) and fibre to the premise is coming in 2007:

http://www.telecom.co.nz/tlab/ipnetwork

However, sounds like it's going to be rolled out slowly. Big cities first obviously. In the end though, I won't care if it's unreliable as ADSL is in NZ.

Anybody in Mission Heights Manukau who's tried out the fibre? How's it going? Hoping Carol has the hookup news soon for us chumps in the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by suebeenz View Post
    ADSL2 (twice as fast) and fibre to the premise is coming in 2007:

http://www.telecom.co.nz/tlab/ipnetwork

However, sounds like it's going to be rolled out slowly. Big cities first obviously. In the end though, I won't care if it's unreliable as ADSL is in NZ.

Anybody in Mission Heights Manukau who's tried out the fibre? How's it going? Hoping Carol has the hookup news soon for us chumps in the sticks.
    yeah See Southland isnt even mentioned!

I would love to find another telephone provider as it really irks me that I pay money to them every month, but they cant provide me with the same service that someone in another city gets!

Kat

There are 2 cell phone standards used here in NZ.

I am not an expert but Vodafone seem to have the better technology (GSM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...Communications

their network is suppose to be in service around the world and used by over 2 billion people across more than 212 countries. This enables you in theory to use your portable cell phone anywhere in the world where GSM is available.

It appears Telecom backed the wrong horse and their CDMA technology network is not as good. IF you let the market decide then GSM has won out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Di...ultiple_Access

Nokia a supplier of the cell phones said would pull out of CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) phone manufacturing, which it sees as a shrinking market in the longer term.

Having said that Telecom the incumbent / monopoly is not going to roll over and die. They offer better deals / promotions / tied into your cell phone used inconjunction with a regular landline phone. The commerce comission has forced Telecom to open up their network to level the playing field so in theory companies like Vodafone can offer similar or sweentened deals.

I posted the wrong mesage. Telecom can't handle the numbers of broadband uerser at the present time and have not spent the money to upgrade the network. A bad investment in Australia telco didn't help. Telecom decided what was appropriate for Broadband users. The "market" has decided they want faster speed and more download. Here in NZ you pay for the number of gigs and then you go back to reduce speed like modem or pay an excessive amount of money for extra gigs.

It is changing but very slowly. The govt has forced Telecom to open up the network which should create some competition. There are a lot of uses still on 56k modem which Telecom can't forced them to to move onto broadband.

Because of kiwi share agreement with the govt everyone in NZ get free local calls in their area. Most countries around the world would charge ues per minute. So you can be a 56K modem user and stay all day on your telephone connected to the internet. There are plenty of people in Nz exploiting this loophole. Telecom keep insisting that kiwi free residential phones does not include the internet. Internet was not used widely when this kiwi share agreement came in being.

Latest news"
    Telecom agrees that the 4GB and 10GB data allowances for UBS have become outdated with the launch of full speed broadband services, and it is removing the UBS data allowance caps to address the growing demands of New Zealand broadband users.

Telecom only does enough to keep the commerce commision off their back. They are in no hurry to make widespread changes. It will eventually happen only very slowly. Nothing radical will happen. Telecom has already backed some bad horses / technology with their cell phone network. Read above. A bad telco investment in Australia that is bleeding red ink I think they have lost 2$ billion on that investment. On top of that they are aware they need to spend some money upgrading the infrastructure for broadband.

Theyare getting getting killed in the landlines which is slowly losing revenue which is a cash cow for a telephone business. They have to spend some further money / infrastructure on VOIP Voice over IP which is set to replace all the landline analogue phones here in NZ in the next decade. Idon't know what the time frame for this is. We have VOIP at out work. HAs lots of extra gizmos. We are with telstra.

Telecom has got its hands full.

Until the local loop unbundling comes into force and telecom get their act together, then the situation regarding broadband speeds and connections in NZ will remain.
    At the moment, the only viable alternative to telecom is either telstraclear or woosh. These are the only providers who do not rely on the telcom infrastructure and so you don't need a telecom line to have their service.
    I was on Orcon, but was fed up with having to pay 50 bucks a month to telecom just for a line, which I never used.
    I switched to Woosh and have been more than happy with their service. Good download speeds and excellent customer service. And, best of all, no more telecom!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    Until the local loop unbundling comes into force and telecom get their act together, then the situation regarding broadband speeds and connections in NZ will remain.
    At the moment, the only viable alternative to telecom is either telstraclear or woosh. These are the only providers who do not rely on the telcom infrastructure and so you don't need a telecom line to have their service.
    I was on Orcon, but was fed up with having to pay 50 bucks a month to telecom just for a line, which I never used.
    I switched to Woosh and have been more than happy with their service. Good download speeds and excellent customer service. And, best of all, no more telecom!
    Kein Telecom? Sounds dreamy. You very much have my attention Kerry. I looked on Woosh's site and see that they have wireless and wired broadband. I take it the wired broadband uses the same telecom lines, so you have the wireless broadband?

Mind me asking what kind of speeds you get when you navigate to this site and choose the Los Angeles , CA server ? (warning - I believe it will transfer something on the order of 1MB of data)

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I supposedly have 'unleashed' speeds and I got 187 kbps down, 168 kbps up, but often get something in the 300+ range.

Do you use skype for conference calls, and if so, do you experience regular dropouts?

Thanks!

Default Where's the Fiber?

I reiterate that the main problem lies in NZ's backbone infrastructure - not the lines that leave your home to the telco/cable exchange. If the data packet has to go to the USA, it's most likely it will end up on a Telecom pipe to the USA - regardless if you're with Woosh or some other ISP.

NZ is simply too small of a country to have alternative infrastructures. It doesn't make sense on 1 side of the street you have Telecom laying copper wire while the other side you have Telstra laying coaxial cable for the pipe.

NZ Telecom's situation is no different to what happened with the Canadian telephone companies over 10 years ago. The gov't forced them to unbundle the loop and opened the door to competition. The result was provincially controlled telco companies went brankrupt and were bought out buy big foreign players to amalgamate as 1 major telephone company (Telus) ; spanned across Canada from west coast to east coast and they did compete. The result was a triple in share price within 2 years. Would this happen in NZ? unlikely as every sheep would rather buy houses than stock certificates.

Telecom is paying the price for lack of deployment while other developed nations thought ahead over 10 years ago. (Much like the lack of straight paved highways) The cost to lay fiber optic in the streets of NZ would be phenomenal and sadly, the NZ consumers aren't willing to pay for that anytime soon. Unbundling the loop won't help one bit.

BQ

BTW, NZ Telecom does charge for every local call made (like in Australia) IF YOU run a business. It's only home residential owners can make countless calls at a flat rate price.

sue - i've just done that test on telstra which we had connected yesterday. using the server you suggested we got 2998kbps download and 1430kbps upload. yesterday we did the same test using telecom (using speedtest.net) and got very similar results to you - about 300kbps down and about 150kbps up. even connecting to the auckland server it only managed about 1000kbps down and 150kbps up.

telstra rocks! and you really can feel the difference just browsing on here!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast