Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Telecom broadband

Default Telecom broadband

IS only telecom or/and all other broadband in NZ are rubbish? Our telecom just cut off several times during online or very very slow zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I suggested to my husband about change broadband but he pointed out that we got 12months contact....

Any suggestion?

We've just cancelled our Telecom broadband contract, due to moving out of our rental and into a house already wired for TelstraClear cable. Telecom have a $90 fee for breaking the contract in the first 12 months - expensive, but worth it in the circumstances!

I found that our broadband was generally very fast for browsing New Zealand based site, but could be shockingly slow for downloading files from America. Other people I've spoken to have experienced the same. Now we're just hoping that TelstraClear will be better...

So, no recommendations yet, but it will cost you "only" $90 to move.

cheers
    Mark

Our telecom broadband is RUBBISH and cuts off about 16 times a day and it's really hard to do Skype and I'm fed up with it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    Our telecom broadband is RUBBISH and cuts off about 16 times a day and it's really hard to do Skype and I'm fed up with it!!!!
    tell me about that!!!! once on skype to sister in law, got cut off three times, in the end, we gave up!

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa View Post
    tell me about that!!!! once on skype to sister in law, got cut off three times, in the end, we gave up!

Yes I've experienced that too.

There are options coming.....

Ask me again in about a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Yes I've experienced that too.

There are options coming.....

Ask me again in about a month!
    /sets time machine for mid March ...

So, how about those new options?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizak View Post
    /sets time machine for mid March ...

So, how about those new options?

All in good time.....but it is exciting!
    And I'm getting to work on it!

wahoo!!

*covers head in disguise for self protection*

Anyone on Ihug? My telecom contract finishes next week and I see IHug offers home phone in addition to broadband now. I can DUMP Telecom for good

Default ADSL vs Coax Cable

I'll admit that broadband Cable is less troublesome than ADSL. But Telecom Xtra "Go Large" plan offers unlimited monthly traffic (subjected to * fair use policy).

We've recently had non-stop ADSL line disconnections that vary between every 3 - 5 minutes. I can tell by monitoring the ADSL modem as it grabs a new IP address from the server. The technician verified it was somewhere in the house but could not narrow it down. Then after hours of trial-and-error testing, I discovered that the problem was in those PABX RJ45->NZ BT telephone adaptors. Originally I thought they were used as line filters but actually, they served a different purpose. So I opened each one up and bypassed the filtering network.

Part of building the new house, I specified every room in the house would not use those old BT telephone wall jacks. Instead, a international standard RJ-45 (same as you would find for a PC network CAT5 cables). That way each line could either serve as data for internet / LAN use or voice telco use.

It was interesting to find that our house is over 4kms from the ADSL telco exchange. Theoretical limit for ADSL is within 5 kms so where we are located doesn't help.

Nevertheless, we've been able to maintain ADSL line connections for several days on the same IP address. We use only 1 ADSL (D-Link split) filter and have 5 phones (each with the RJ45-BT adaptor) on the network.

Again, I stress that it's best to check your house ADSL line installation 1st as much as possible before calling in the techs. If they find the fault is within your home, they will bill you.

BQ

Default Don't we all want faster internet?

I also forgot to mention that switching to iHUG or even with Telstra broadband won't guarantee you better line connection or faster download speeds.

The root of the problem lies in NZ's outdated copper backbone infrastructure. As described here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/3959420a6430.html

Some beleivers think that if Telecom continued to be stated owned (gov't operated), none of these problems would occur. That can not be farther from the truth. History has shown a time where NZ people had to wait for months just to get a telephone hooked up in their home during the days of gov't ownership of Telecom.

Actually a lot has to do with cost and lack of planning (or educating the public why higher costs are a priority for future expansion?). My father had a house built in Canada in 1975 connected with separate coaxial and copper lines underground from the street. It wasn't even 10 years ago that Telstra/ Saturn decided to lay coaxial cable lines in the streets of NZ. Comparatively, Canada at the same time was laying fiber optic everywhere. Friends that were building a new house had their homes wired up with fiber optic and this is over 10 years ago.

Though would it be unfair to compare say Canada to NZ? After all Canada is 1/10th the population of the USA which is a fair comparison to how NZ is to Australia?

BQ

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast