Thread: Certificate of Residency?

Default Certificate of Residency?

Hi guys. Just completing my UK tax return and it seems to claim back interest paid on UK bank accounts (since we arrived in NZ) I have to submit a Certificate of Residency.

Anyone know what this is and where I might get it?

Thanks very much for any help.

Cheers

Strange..... I did not have to do that when I filled in our form. Would a copy of your passport do maybe?

Thanks Sal. Not sure if passport would do. It's Box 9.20 on the IR return form 2006/07. Refers you to help sheet IR302 and on there it clearly states that you need to attach a Certificate of Residency.

Maybe people have just not bothered to send it and it hasn't caused any problems?

Ah, its a different form of return you are doing to what I did.... I will butt out now...

I know I said I was going to butt out, but just found this...

Q20. How do I get a certificate of UK residence?

From the Inland Revenue office which normally deals with your tax affairs. If you deal with more than one tax office, you need to go to the one to which you send your tax returns.

From here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/faqs.htm#20

Yes I am bored waiting for baby to wake up!

On form FD4 "APPLICATION for relief at source from United Kingdom income tax and CLAIM to repayment of United Kingdom income tax" it says the following about getting a certificate of residency:

"It is a condition of relief from UK income tax under the terms of United Kingdom/New Zealand Double Taxation Convention that the beneficial owner of the income is resident in New Zealand. Please send the completed form New Zealand/Individual to the District Commissioner of Taxes, Taxes Division, Inland Revenue Department for the District in which you reside. The New Zealand Inland Revenue will certify that you are resident in New Zealand for the purposes of New Zealand tax and send the form to the UK Inland Revenue - Centre for Non-Residents."

Form here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/nz_indiv.pdf

Thanks Jo Jo & jubjub