Thread: Cost of prescriptions?

Default Cost of prescriptions?

Can anyone tell me what the cost of ongoing prescriptions is likely to be in New Zealand - is there a standard cost like here or does it depend on what drugs you require?

Thanks.

Helga

My prescription is $15 a time.... still not sure how it works but I do know that a 3-month cost the same as a 1-month prescription... I'm off to docs later so will ask...

Thanks Moorf

That does't sound too bad - it's just something to know about before you get there in case there are any nasty surprises! Look forward to hearing again.

Helga

OK, here goes... I asked the pharmacist and receptionist.

Pharmacist says that it is $15 per item on the prescription. However, any "repeats" are free - so if you are on a long term prescription you will get a 3 month repeat (other items, like sleeping pills are only given 1 month repeats. and so you will pay $15 every other month).. the most you can pay for a 3 mth repeat item in one year is $60 (i.e. 4 x $15).

If you are certain drugs they may cost slightly more if they aren't a usual prescription but the doc didn't want to give me a list of these.

A trip to the docs today cost me $50 - this is the standard charge it seems. If doc refers you for a blood test that is free- if you request one you have to pay.

Smears are free.

Hope that helps.

Moorf

Thanks Moorf - that's really helpful - it's a costly business keeping a girl on the road these days....!!
    Much appreciated.

Helga

Default Perscriptions

Can you tell me.... after you arrive in NZ, can you get prescriptions refilled by simply brining your old one to the pharmacist. Or, do you have to go to a doctor...and have them reissue everything....?
    Thanks

I am fairly certain that you would have to see a NZ doctor and have them reissued. Thats what our daughter had to do.

Correct... they will want to see you and re-issue...

It's great starting from scratch with a doctor who actually LISTENS, has TIME for you and genuinely CARES...

Blood test results are back in 1 - 3days

Other results up to a week... why? Because they are sent to private companies who are in competition and monitored by the Govt as to standards etc.. !!!

UK seems archaic now....