Thread: Long story question-married to a kiwi, separated, Im in UK looking for new visa 4 me

Default Long story question-married to a kiwi, separated, Im in UK looking for new visa 4 me

Hello,

I wonder if someone out there may be able to assist me further. I married a New Zealander in the UK and 2 years later we moved to New Zealand with myself on a Spouses/family visa. Unfortunately we separated and I returned to the UK in March 2006. I am finishing off my trade NVQ level 2 city and guilds Plumbing certificate and I would like to apply for a new visa under the skilled migrant section. We are still married though separated. Would still being married complicate an application or is it benefical to get a divorce prior to an application?

Just to confuse the issue further; my wife and I have always kept in touch and have considered trying to get back together. I know that is sketchy and 'someone' would want to know a tad more about our situation. However; we also fully understand and accept if I am not able to get a visa to NZ then that will have to be a fact of life.

I see it that I need to make a completely new visa application, is this probably correct to assume? Also, does having already had a visa (family category) have any negative affect on me applying for a new visa under a different category?

I hope I have managed to give enough information to assist in my situation?

Thanks in advance
    Lee

an NVQ level 2 will not do for SMC. It needs to be at Level 4.

Get PGDB to assess your current quals.

you can still work in the trade in NZ under a Limited Licence as I am sure you know. You cannot however use SMC.

if you have lived in NZ with your partner on a partnership visa surely you have residency already. I wasn't aware that the sticker in your passport was dependent on staying with that person. it's in your name in your passport.

Hello Veronica, my visa requirements state that you cannot leave NZ for more than 90 days at a time. I feel my visa will be void now considering I have been in the UK for nearly a year now.

Hi, could you offer clarification? under what conditions did you get a visa? I know you said spouse/family visa, but it looks like if you married a kiwi who had citizenship and were accepted into NZ on a visa, you would have gained PR during that time?

I'm not familiar with the "can't be out of the country for more than 90 days" policy.

Christine

Hello Christine,
    Your correct about the 90 days theory! Sorry, I am not sure why that stuck in my head. I called the NZ embassy etc and they have said though I have a work visa with multiple entries, and that my visa expires on the 15 Dec 2007, I would need to re-apply for a new visa. However, I intend staying in the UK until May 2008 when I finish my studies; so it appears fool-hardy to re-apply for a work visa when I am not going to use it. I would have to go through the entire rigmerol. However; would I be correct in thinking that if I kept my work visa up todate and current that once I am qualified I would not have to apply for a visa under the skilled migrant category? Just remembered; I originally got my visa due to the fact that I was (and still am) married to a Kiwi national. Thanks

Immigration require as part of the renewal process for a Work Visa (Family) that the NZ Resident/National write a letter of support for the renewal application, so without some evidence of support from your wife, it would be difficult to renew your existing visa.