Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghee

Default Ghee

Has anyone seen ghee available in NZ? Probably one of those things I need to make for myself! (it's hard to find here, too, as Indian food stores don't stay in business long)
    Ana
    For the curious Ghee

You can get tubs of clarified butter in the supermarket, not quite the same though...

Must put some in the container for our curry fests mmmm...

It's available in (some) plain ole grocery stores. There are a number of Indian specialty markets in urban areas with imported and house-made ghee (and paneer, come to think of it).

IIRC you are aiming for Welly - there are def. Indian markets around here. The shop that has everything you might want for cooking, including spices by measure, is Spice Rack in Petone.

I wouldnt pack the Ghee...any thing Dairy is a BIG no no with MAF....why take the chance.

Thanks guys, will look into IIRC, (just had paneer and curry for dinner, barryp ) but it sounds like I (and StevieD) need to practice making it!
    Didn't know about the no dairy and MAF, tick tock, just didn't occur to me.
    jubjub I love to dip artichoke bits in clarified (drawn) butter!
    Ana

I havent actually looked for it (or seen it) but I would imagine that somewhere like Moshim's Discount House (usually just refered to as Moshim's) would have it. We have one in Newtown, Wellington and I think they have branches in Akl and Chch.

Newtown (esp Riddiford Street) and Kilbirnie areas in Wellington have loads of 'ethnic' stuff - Indian and Asian. We can usually get anything we need from there.

I've been looking for it and haven't found it at any grocery stores. I work with a guy from India who has a friend who owns an Indian grocery in
    Auckland, but I still haven't managed to get there to pick some up.

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
    You can get tubs of clarified butter in the supermarket, not quite the same though...

No, it's just the opposite in fact.

Ghee is made by simmering unsalted butter in a large pot until all water has boiled off and protein has settled to the bottom. The clarified butter is then spooned off to avoid disturbing the milk solids on the bottom of the pan. Unlike butter, ghee can be stored for extended periods without refrigeration, provided it is kept in an airtight container to prevent oxidation, and that it remains moisture-free.

Hi,

I've bought Ghee in the UK in tins, is this ok to put in a container ?
    I was under the impression that food in tins was ok to bring,I brought all sorts accross with no problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast