Thread: Things to do in Welly with young children

Default Things to do in Welly with young children

We will be flying out to Welly within the next 3-4 weeks as my OH is due to start his new job in the CBD at the start of April. We will be staying in a central apartment for the first month until we find a rental.

My question is can anyone suggest places to visit or things I can do during the day with our two young boys aged 5 and 21months. We will be relying on public transport or foot with a buggy for the little one.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Liz

wellington zoo (you can get there by bus).

te papa museum is walking distance and has loads specifically for kids

there are two swimming pools very close into the centre of town - both walking distance. the indoor pool at freyberg and the outdoor pool in thorndon (not sure when that one closes for the winter though)

karori wildlife centre (again you'll need to go by bus)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigirl View Post
    te papa museum is walking distance and has loads specifically for kids

Story Place in Te PApa is very cool for kids their age.

I think there is a new soft play place opened near the Zoo called Junglerama

And the parks (everywhere) are wonderful!
    There is a really good one for little ones just a wee walk from Te Papa.

Frank Kitt's Park is great for kids. Got a big lighthouse slide and is right on the harbour front.

The cable car is is a fun trip to do, doesn't take that long but there are the botanical gardens at the top which my kids love running around. Also the museum has a full size carriage which they can climb all over.

If it's a wet day Reading Cinema is fantastic for kids, mine loved watching a flim there

Boat trip across from Wellington to Days Bay is lovely as well for kids. Have still got that on my list of things to do.

Take a day trip out on the train up to Hutt Valley or Kapiti Coast.

There's Lollypop Land in Lower Hutt which is great as an indoor play area, best to avoid if it's the holidays though

As well as Story time Te Papa also has craft activities for kids - a really great place for kids to play & learn. Loads of interactive exhibits for kids to look at/press buttons on & do stuff too which is really fun.

There's the beach at Oriental Bay - short walk from city centre. Plenty of places around the city - top of cable car, Frank Kitt's Park, beach to have a picnick.

Frank Kitts park is a great place for the kids to watch boats & the helicopters when they're out as well as planes coming in to land or taking off.

Big library with great kids section.

Great kids playpark just built next to Chaffer's Marina - can't remember the name of the park but all the local playparks are worth a visit.

Thanks guys for the great suggestions. Looks like the boys and I will be having a great time while hubbie is hard at work!

Lynn & I are also due to move down to Wellington (from Auckland) around the end of March. We have a 3 year old boy. I will be starting work almost straight away and I know that Lynn would love to hear from anyone with young children in the Wellington area who would like to meet up for a coffee and a chat.

Liz - I'll PM you our contact details and maybe you could get in touch when you arrive.

Steve

I definetely head up to the playground and foresty areas of the botanical gardens. I know a lot of families who regularly go there with their kids for picnics and such. The cable car is a hit too.

For those coming during the summer in wellington, the free concerts in the botanical gardens had dancing lights on the ground that kids LOVED. there were bubbles too.

Its nothing amazing, but in Karori there is a small playground with a wooden maze. Many people I've meet here in their 20's have fond memories of playing in the maze as kids. Its not too far from the pool up here.

There are also many cafe's that cater to mom's with young kids who are keen to get out of the house and see other people. I think you'll find many options, and feel free to pm if you get stuck for ideas - I know a few folks with kiddos under 5.

I seem to remember just across from Te Papa there is a also Capital E where they have a soft play area and when we visited last year they also had a theatre in which they put on shows. We saw a puppet show and our two boys enjoyed it.

Hey Liz

Have only just found out that Te Papa is free - amazing! I'm guessing / hoping that we'll be spending many happy hours there (we arrive in Welly in mid-winter: end of June).

Hope to meet up with you some time,

Andrea