Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building Consents for Renovations

Well ... according to my email, all the good Rolexes are.

We've had our first council inspection (we have to have 3 for our project) and it went well - everything got passed OK - next inspection in a week - still got 3 weeks of mess & mayhem on the project but the bare bones of the room are there now. We have had an excellent builder and an excellent architect so if anyone doing renovations in the Welly area feel free to PM me & I'll send you their details.

First time I've read this thread, its very helpful. (Got the old Rep problem, have to share it about blah blah blah )

Anyway we had our bathroom updated, everything pretty much in the same place. We were told we had to get the floor checked as we were putting down tiles on floorboards and it needed waterproofing inbetween.

We did do the waterproofing but didn't get it checked as everyone said it could take several days for them to come round and we could be without a workable bathroom for about a week. As it was the only one in the house, it wasn't really an option unless we were willing to book into a hotel.

Absolutely everyone told us not to bother getting it looked at. Partly because no one knows when the bathroom was put in and some of these laws are pretty recent. But also because we did do the right thing so could in all clear conscience let any future purchasers know this and just claim we didn't know about the council checking requirements.

I guess we'll find out if its a problem when we come to sell!

Cheers

Tia

Here is the wording from the Act:

"
    Schedule 1 s 41(1)(b)
    Exempt building work

A building consent is not required for the following building work:

(a) any lawful repair and maintenance using comparable materials, or
    replacement with a comparable component or assembly in the same position, of
    any component or assembly incorporated or associated with a building, including
    all lawful repair and maintenance of that nature that is carried out in
    accordance with the Plumbers, Gasfitters, and Drainlayers Act 1976:"

Ref: http://rangi.knowledge-basket.co.nz/...04/an/072.html (Schedule 1 at the the end)

I read that as updating a bathroom doesn't need consent ( as long as you are not moving walls as stated )

Neil

That's right - nor plumbing.

Our next check is the membrane - waterproof layer between flooring (compression board) & tiles - they're pretty hot on this but only because we've built in a wet area into the bathroom (and if they're not done right they can leak pretty badly so the council made it a stipulation as part of our consent).

I wouldn't worry Tia if you're just replacing a floor that's already there & it doesn't incorporate a wet area shower instead of a shower tray I don't think anyone will be bothered when you come to sell.

Default Lim Report

But also because we did do the right thing so could in all clear conscience let any future purchasers know this and just claim we didn't know about the council checking requirements.

I guess we'll find out if its a problem when we come to sell!
    There's kinda a fine line where the buyer agrees with the condition of the house or not. Recent cases in the 'leaky houses' have proved that the liability does not stop at buyer beware. Note though a leaky home is the far end of the extreme compared to a bathroom/shower alteration.

Legally, the buyer can sue the seller even though the alterations were dones by the 2nd previous owner's down the line. Some believe there's a 'statutory limitation' for litigation beyond 7+ years. However this no longer applies in the case of homes as the expectation life of a house is far more than 7 years - who would think a houses should be rotten in 7 year?

Interesting discoveries occur all the time in even the newest homes. For eg. one person builds a newly plaster over styrofoam constructed home and after a few years he/she discovers water in thier living room. What are the options for that owner? "Do I sue the builder? or Look at the city council for compensation? or Do I try to rectify the problem myself?

The new home owner could inform the city council or call certain building inspectors to do a full WOF on the house (to see the extend of the damage). But this may not be ideal as any complaints given to the council in this nature will leave a record on file. Likeswise with home WOF inspectors as any discoveries of major leaks will have to be lodge in at the city council. At the end this will show up on a Lim report which doesn't look good.

Alternatively, the seller could keep quiet and try to rectify the problem alone. Rip all the drywall off and try to seal and patch as much as he/she can to remove any traces of leaks. Even a complete strip down and re-plaster may be warranted. At least in the future, the seller could assume no previous leaks were known and successfully sell the house as a non-leaky home.... until it leaks after a few years later....

By then the original seller has taken off to Australia....

Had the second inspection from the council this week... all went well, although I am a bit worried - I agreed with our contact that we could use a different dampproof membrane but I have nothing in writing or stamped. We've used the other one but when it comes to the final consent I hope it won't be a problem!

Got the tilers in now & the plumber & electrician finishing off next week and then we'll need to book our final council inspection with all of our certificates for membraning & electrics & windows etc. as well as new drainage plans & final application for consent. Will be surprised if they don't charge me more money for final consent!!

OK bathroom almost finished - just got the electrician coming back tonight to fit the heated towel rail & we're waiting for the mirror... As soon as those things are done we can apply for the final consent. We have to submit all of the energy certificates from electrician, plus window certificates for new windows & warranty/letter from tiler for the waterproof membrane & a form for the final building consent - they will come & do a final inspection and then hopefully! we get building consent issued...

Here's a couple of pics - it has turned out better than we dreamed!

1st pic is before we started - 3 separate rooms - this was the bathroom. Imagine a mirror in front of the demister pad of the finished pics...

OK & the shower...

Wow, your new bathroon looks fab...I read through your message really quick and went to first pic, and was trying to think of something polite to say...until I re-read your message!! lol , looks like its been worth all of the inspections!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12