Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Success stories please!!

Default Quarantine Success stories please!!

Hi all
    We are looking to make the move from South Africa to NZ within the next 9 months or so as we have been granted our Resident visas.
    My biggest nightmare of all time is the moving of our "other children" : 3 dogs and 4 cats. Besides the astronomical cost of this exercise ( we have decided that we have to take them, as we chose to bring them into our lives, they didn't choose us ), is the whole plane flight thing as well as the 4 month quarantine period. Will they make it ok on the long flight over? Will they survive during a 4 month "prison sentence" or will they just pine away and be different animals at the end of the ordeal?
    I would really love to hear some positive stories from other animal lovers who have made the move with their pets in order to put my troubled mind at ease please.
    Thanks so much
    Debs

Hi DebsandAndy

I've not put pets in quarantine but have worked in quarantine kennels in the UK so hopefully this will help......

every animal is different and you will know the personality of each of your pets. But of the hundreds of cats and dogs I've seen in quarantine the majority cope well..... generally very well if the kennel is any good. The ones that perhaps were a little withdrawn should get extra attention from the kennel maids and of course you can visit to let them know you haven't forgotten them

Be choosey. You should be able to have all three dogs in one kennel and all 4 cats in another...... so they will cope better 'cause they are together.

Hi Myrkk
    Thanks so much for the input on this: I will certainly bear in mind the sharing of kennels, as it would be great for them to have the familiar company. I don't think I am going to rest easy until the whole ordeal is over.
    Cheers
    Debs

We used Shado-Lans in Levin (about an hour north of Wellington), and they were great. We could visit any day. We'd just give a call and make sure it was an ok time (they never said it wasn't).

Our dog had about a 10 ft by 8 ft room with a sliding glass door leading to the same size outdoor room. Most of the time the door was left open. They ordered in the food she was used to having. They left a little radio running much of the time in the day for sound and voices. Someone sat in and gave her attention every day.

I noticed some cats in the same room together, and they told me that animals who lived together could usually stay together in quarantine. As Myrkk mentioned, that will be of interest to you with your several dogs and cats.

The downside I usually hear about is that animals can put on weight in Q. due to less exercize. And of course it's hard to leave at the end of a visit when you can't yet take them home. Our dog did very well, but she was in for one month, not four because we came from the US.

It's a good idea to talk to the specific quarantine where your dog will be. Some have shorter visiting hours, and may have different policies on putting your pets together. There's a list of registered Q. facilities online here. If you know where you might settle, you could contact the place(s) near there and find out how much space they provide, etc...

I would give Shado Lans a 10 out of 10 myself. (The list website says Shado-Lans only takes 6 dogs and 4 cats in Q. total at any time, so if they'd be near you, you would really have to book ahead to have a hope of getting all four kitties in.)
    Last edited by jess; 1st March 2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: typo

When my parents ,oved back from Europe to the UK for a few years they brought our cat with us. At the time the full 6 month quarantine was still a requirement. The cat came out of the other end perfectly fine (it had learnt to jump on peoples shoulders when you were leaning down though, but it quickly lost that habit).

The only problem we encountered was on our first visit. She was overjoyed to see us, but when we left she cried and cried (she was a cross Burmese so could cry exactly like a human baby). As she was a regular at the cattery for holidays, she thought she was being picked up. We limited our visits after that, but we never had the same reaction again.

I flew my dog from the US and he was in quarantine for 1 month. He seemed to do fine for the flight. Quarantine was very rough on me, but the dog did adapt. I visited him every day and tried to give him some exercise, but it was really difficult in his run and after a while he wasn't really interested in playing fetch. So instead I would teach him new tricks to try to keep his mind stimulated. He gained a lot of weight and was extremely out of shape when he got out. I had to build his exercise up slowly. It was not ideal, but I wouldn't have moved without him. I was devastated when I learned of the 30 day quarantine. I knew he could cope with 2 weeks, but I was worried about 30 days. Many vets I've spoken to don't understand the need for such a long quarantine here with all of the tests available. I understand the need for NZ to be careful, but maybe they will learn from the UK experience.

I used Qualified in Auckland. PM me if you'd like more info about them.

Susan

Hi brought my dog and three cats, they did one month in ChCh Q and did really well. One of my cats gets very stressed and I always put lavander oil on his ears and he just chills out. Make sure you use a good agent. Its harder on the owners than the animals

Hi everyone
    Thanks so much for sending me all your stories on the quarantine process. How I wish that it was only 30 days, but coming out of SA they have to be in for 120 days. However, I have also heard the story about it being more traumatic for the owners than the pets.
    I will be sure to get back in contact with you all nearer the time, even if it's only for a shoulder to cry on!
    Debs

Hi there
    I'm going through the same worries, we're leaving the sunny skies of SA and heading for New Plymouth and my animals are coming with. I could not do this without moving my entire family and that includes a 10mth old baby two dogs and two cats...I'm dreading their flight more than their time in quarantine but am very very glad to hear there are others out there doing the same thing as us South Africans don't have it easy re the time period they're in there. My husband is there already and my dogs and cats are due to start there in July so I'll let you know how it's going. I have their containers in the house already and feeding them treats in their containers so they associate nice things with the containers - I have a Great Dane so it's like transporting a horse!!!!

We're just weeks away from the trip to Wellington from the US. The series of tests and shots is remarkable. But how can you leave your babies behind!

I can't stress enough the need to get the pets used to their crates. One of our dogs hated the crate as a pup so we had low expectations of her getting used to it. But with enough treats and positive reinforcement she actually goes in the crate by herself now!

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast