Thread: Deed Poll - Change of Name

Default Deed Poll - Change of Name

Hi All
    I've done a quick search and cannot find any information on this subject on the forum - I'm wondering if this is a first??? however,

Shortly after I was born my parents divorced and my mother met someone else when I was in my teens. He was a truly wonderful man and the only one I ever could or wanted to call Dad.

When I was 18 (1982) I decided to join the Air Force and to begin my new life and career - decided to change my name by deed poll to his.

I have used his name ever since and I have still kept it hyphenated after my own marriage in 1997.

The deed poll document has long since disappeared and the Solicitors - who's name I have forgotten have moved - I know this because I remembered where it was I went to, to sign the papers, and it is now part of the shopping mall.

Immigration are asking for evidence of the name change - it states all 3 names on our marriage certificate but is this enough? and what other evidence can I provide?

Any help welcome.

Just a wild guess, but have you contacted another solicitor to find out if there is a 'register' of deed pole name changes ?

Maybe there's a log of it somewhere??

Just a thought............

Good luck,

Julie

xx

If you're talking UK then there is no central register of name changes. However, your solicitor may have 'enrolled' it in the Enrolment Books of the Supreme Court of Judicature, in the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand, London. They are published in the London Gazette (you can search this online at http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/index.asp?webType=0 ). After 5 years the records go the the National Archives.

Unfortunately only one ine evry 200 name changes are registered in this fashion.

Could your Admin Section (if you're still in the RAF) or maybe even the Vetting authorities have a copy of your name change?

We changed names after marriage to combine both names and got our solicitor to write a change of name 'deed'. He said this was not a legally binding document. We have since lost the document he wrote so we asked if he had a copy - he didn't so we asked him to create a new document just stating that from x date we had been known as ??. We then contacted a magistrate that I used to work with and he signed to say the info was correct. We then sent this off with our NZQA assessment. hopefully it has worked.
    To be honest it was a waste of money / time getting the solicitor to write the document, it wasn't even on decent paper. I wish I had done it myself.

If you wish to do so, PM me and I will scan a copy of our 'deed' and e mail to you.

Thanks for all your help, advice and good wishes, I'm so impressed with the wealth of knowledge held by the forumites ( especially Croft in this instance).

I've had an e-mail back from our Case Officer asking for a statutory declaration - so hope that helps anyone else in the process with the same problem. I'll PM you too Speckythecky.

Thanks a bunch

Hi Andy,
    My eldest daughter has just changed her surname to mine but in this technological day and age, did it online at http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/ They may have some thoughts?
    Good luck with it!
    There is also a section for any UK residents abroad wishing to change their name. You never know when it could copme in handy! http://www.ukdps.co.uk/Overseas.html

Gil

Quote Originally Posted by Andy-Dee View Post
    Thanks for all your help, advice and good wishes, I'm so impressed with the wealth of knowledge held by the forumites ( especially Croft in this instance).
    I'm not knowledgeable, but my friend Mr Google is!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy-Dee View Post
    I've had an e-mail back from our Case Officer asking for a statutory declaration - so hope that helps anyone else in the process with the same problem. I'll PM you too Speckythecky.

Thanks a bunch
    That's what they suggested if we hadn't managed to get old of an adoption certificate for my wife. Seems to be a fairly common thing if you can't get hold of certain documents it seems.