Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sNOw

Default sNOw

It's just started winter where I am, and already I am swearing off snow. I'm wondering if places on the south island, or N island for that matter, get any snow? Going to cross them off my list for sure.

I know that the mountains get lovely snow, but does snow actually fall in Queenstown or Dunedin or Christchurch? What about Wellington? Can I be promised none of the white stuff?

Tigerlily

Hell yeah !!!!!! Plenty of snow in NZ. During the winter months the Desert Road (which runs right up the middle of the north island) is regularly closed due to heavy snow.

I know for a fact that Dunedin gets snow because we had some friends from there visiting us a few weeks ago and they brought along some photo's of their new house surrounded by several inches of snow. When you consider that NZ has a thriving ski and snowboard culture I guess there has to be snow to support it.

Diny

I know that anything at altitude will get snow, because there is no continental effect. When I was tramping around Mt Aspiring and Fiordland, the snow line was at 3,000 feet. That is very low to those of us used to a treeline/snow line of more like 7,000 here in the US (i'm probably wrong on my numbers). But will there be snow plows in Nelson? Yes, I'm a bit of a sissy on driving in the snow.

Well Tigerlily,

I live in Nebraska. We've just had our first snow, 4-6 inches (10.16 - 15.24 centimeters) and it will be a lovely 21f (-6 c) tonight. I am at the point in my life where I want no more snow. I am determined that this is my last winter here. It does not snow in Hamilton, which is one of my preferred destinations.

I'm also bad about driving in the snow.

Michele

Default Snow

I'm with all of you on that. Where we live in Colorado we average over 400" of snow a year, we experience winter for 8 months, and it is cold!! (Negative 21 last night, a balmy 5 degrees Fahrenheit presently). I don't mind the snow terribly, but would love to be somewhere where we don't have to plug the cars in at night lest the batteries freeze.

Me, well I run a ski/snowboard shop and I love the stuff.

Default snow

Don't get me wrong, without the fluffy white stuff we wouldn't be able to do most of the activities that we enjoy: snowboarding, cross country and downhill skiing, sledding, throwing snowballs . . . heck, it even provides all our rafting in the summer. I'm just looking forward to not living in it for the first year or two we're in NZ, then, most likely, we'll end up moving to a resort town there. My fiance won't last too long away from it, rather like 'Frosty the Snowman'

Snow is lovely to visit, look at, play in, but driving in it daily for months does wear on you. I loved living where winters were rainy but the snow was an hour away if we wanted it (that would be my former hometown of Portland, Oregon). Now that I am faced with constantly slipping around in the snow just to get some bread at the market (here in Spokane, Washington), I'm thinking that I like old system. But I have to say that Queenstown was wonderful and if pressed, I would live there is a second! Catjlin- have you been there?

Default snow

Tigerlily,
    I was in Queenstown 2 years ago; my fiance did a season at the Remarkables. Really neat town set on a gorgeous lake, great bakery and wonderful trekking nearby. The year we were there though, there wasn't too much snow to be had, just cold and damp. We both rather liked the town, but the idea of having to drive so far to board/ski is rather a bummer. We're rather spoiled here, 10 minutes from front door to first chair :mrgreen:
    Anyone's thoughts on other possible ski towns in South Island?
    Cat

No snow in Nelson. My friends can't even remember a frost worth the name. Plenty on the hills though. It was still there a few days ago. Otago was having plenty of snow last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast