Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University costs in NZ

Question University costs in NZ

Hi... my youngest daughter (18) has decided to delay starting university in the US this year so she can come with us to NZ for a while

We have tentatively talked about her going to university in NZ; when I research costs, it gets confusing. Tuition seems to be based on the major studied: these fees are based on dollars charged per amount of points assigned to majors.

I cannot tell how to calculate what it will cost for an academic year if a student attends full time and lives on campus. I looked at Victoria for an example of domestic tuition costs, but I just got more confused!

Does anyone currently attend or have a child attend a uni in NZ? If so, can you give me an idea of what to expect? Here in the US, the average cost of universities we looked at was upwards of $30,000 per year. Much of that would be loans and grants based on our income as a family; the rest comes out of pocket I am hoping it is cheaper on the average in NZ; I realize it may vary greatly by school.

Are there any low interest loans or any grant programs that assist NZ residents with college expenses? Do they have payment programs? I'm just getting my oldest through college; now I've got to pull money out of a magic hat to get the youngest through somehow!

Thanks for your help.

Christine

chris - cool news on your daughter deciding to come out to NZ with you.

domestic tuition fees (your daughter qualifies as a domestic student if you have PR – otherwise you have to pay international rates) at vic are between $3500 - $4500 a year. accommodation fees in halls of residence vary depending on which halls and what type of accommodation but its between $4000 and $10000 a year. lots of students share rental accommodation in wellington instead of living in halls.

if you have PR your daughter can take out a student loan. provided she has been living in NZ for 6 months prior to applying it will be interest free. if she goes back overseas the loan will start to accumulate interest again (currently 6.9%). once she earns over $17k she’ll have to start repaying it.

also depending in your financial circumstances your daughter may be able to get a student allowance to help with day to day living costs, at the moment this is up to about $140 a week after tax and is means tested on parents income.

by the way - i know the points thing is odd - but just assume she'll do 120 points a year - thats what almost all fulltime students do.

Trigirl,

Thanks for the quick info. I saw figures ranging from $3000-4000 beside the points fee online, but I thought it might mean per quarter at best. Yay...per year! And yes, sharing a rental would be a better alternative in many regards.

This is really good news. I'm so happy and excited that she is coming with us. She plans to volunteer, explore both islands with her sister, and work part time for the first year there; then she will attend university somewhere (hopefully in NZ!) What a relief that this is a cheaper option. Let's hope (for the sake of my pocketbook) that she falls in love with NZ like the oldest daughter did on her trip there last year! eyes:

Christine

I saw figures ranging from $3000-4000 beside the points fee online, but I thought it might mean per quarter at best. Yay...per year!
    i'm always completely astonished by how much you have to pay to go to uni in the US or canada!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigirl View Post
    i'm always completely astonished by how much you have to pay to go to uni in the US or canada!
    Not necessarily in Canada. We have reasonable fees, and lower in Quebec than most places and then we have tons of scholarships and fellowships and other forms of financial support (especially if one has good marks). Though the fees have gone up, I used to feel rich as a student doing my Masters and getting about 12 grand/yr on top of tuition waivers at the university.

Just as a point of reference, my partner has gone back to school and is studying to be a paramedic at AUT. It is a bachelor degree (3 year program) and the tuition this year was about $5k...

Quote Originally Posted by Trigirl View Post
    chris - cool news on your daughter deciding to come out to NZ with you.

domestic tuition fees (your daughter qualifies as a domestic student if you have PR – otherwise you have to pay international rates) at vic are between $3500 - $4500 a year. accommodation fees in halls of residence vary depending on which halls and what type of accommodation but its between $4000 and $10000 a year. lots of students share rental accommodation in wellington instead of living in halls.

if you have PR your daughter can take out a student loan. provided she has been living in NZ for 6 months prior to applying it will be interest free. if she goes back overseas the loan will start to accumulate interest again (currently 6.9%). once she earns over $17k she’ll have to start repaying it.

also depending in your financial circumstances your daughter may be able to get a student allowance to help with day to day living costs, at the moment this is up to about $140 a week after tax and is means tested on parents income.
    I didn't know about the 6mth bit - Jason has taken a student loan out for the course fees $1550 - BUT you have to have PR for 2 years before you can get the Student allowance - and since we have been here 8mths we have to supplement him till he finds a part-time job
    We do get family assistance for him since he is under 18 and in full time education so that helps.

Unfortunately he is finding his course too basic - he knows more than the tutor about maths (hes bored out his brain)

He cant transfer to anything else as he would have to pay again, so he is comitted to doing the Pre-trade electrical course till next year. he is doing it for the points and then wants to do Maths and a teacher Degree

or Physcoligy??? my spellings terrible sorry -

Any one who can help me in understanding how to work out what he has to do to get enough points etc - please do!

Thanks in advance as I am getting dizzy trying to figure out the uni websites
    Kat

Points vary from university to university.
    Con-joint style BA/Teaching degrees are usually 4 year degrees and are from memory include about 26-28 courses plus practicums.
    Some places still offer 3 year BA degrees followed by a 1 year graduate diploma in education.

I'm looking to go to university in NZ though I have applied to UK. It seems a lot cheaper to go to Uni in NZ though I'm not sure I'd be able to get a student load as I will not be living in NZ 6 months before application though it will be 6 months before uni starts (going over in july). I have residency though will I be able to get a student load?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast