Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De Facto Work Permits/PR????

Default De Facto Work Permits/PR????

Hi Guys,

New to the site but see what a vast knowledge there is. I was hoping you could help me out in my quest to get to NZ?

I have done extensive research using the NZ immigration website but am still pondering on my best move. Basically I am from the UK and have a New Zealand partner who lives permenantly in NZ. We have been in a relationship for 5 years. However, we have only lived together on and off (totalling over 20 months) as a result of university etc etc. I am still confident that we forfill the criteria for a de facto relationship however and can prove our relationship in the form of letters, e-mails, photos etc. So all good up til there!

Now gets to the tricky part....am I correct in saying I can get a Work Visa through the family category? I think I'm correct in saying that it would take 2- 6 weeks to come through? If this is the case it strikes me that this has to be the easiest option to get to NZ. BUT, would I be better advise to go for the PR option straight away? What are the benefits for either option?

To continue my indecisivness, I do not want to leave my current job (UK)without a definite job offer in NZ. If I was to apply for a Work Visa and get it issued, could I THEN start appraching companies whilst still employed and in the UK with the right to work in place, or does the Work Visa start its countdown as soon as I have it?

As you can see I'm rather vague on quite a few aspects so any feedback would be hugely appreciated!

Hello, me again. As I have no replies, am I to assume I'm way off??

PLEASE HELP!

Hi there,

Sorry I'm not sure about work visas (someone will know though) but I'd look into the de-facto relationship a bit more. I think you'll need a lots more than just letters, photos etc. My understanding is that you need to have been living together (permenantly) for at least 12 months and be able to provide evidence such as:

* joint bank accounts
    * household bills with both names on
    * Policies with both names on
    * Mortgage / rent agreement
    * Council tax

Hope this doesn't put a downer on things ops:

Milliemoo

Hi Wiggy. If i were on your shoes I might have a visit to NZ and do the job hunting stuff. As what you said you don't wanna lose your present job so try first then if you'll get one, then it's time for relocation. What do you think..

Wiggy, I could totally be wrong;
    No work/ job offer- No work visa
    No work/job offer- possible PR if enough points..blur blur, and you can wait a looooooooong time

All the best chuck- Chips

Ummm......the problem lies in the fact that I have just returned from a 6 week holiday over there to visit my boyfriend, and it took me all that time to finally make up my mind to move there!!

Chips - under the De Facto category I'm 90% sure that you can get a Work Visa with no job offer

Milliemoo - an interesting point about evidence. I was under the impression that as long as the time you've lived together is more than 12 months in total, intervals inbetween are OK as long as they were for a good reason ie. back to university studies. We have parents and friends perpared to write letters supprting our relationship, some correspondance to the same address, e-mails, letters, cards and photos. Maybe I'm wrong about all this?

Only way to really find out is to get either yourself or your partner to phone the NZIS and see what they advise, because each case is different and each case officer seems to interpret the rules slightly differently too.

Hi,

Yes, totally agree....best give them a ring. I really think you'll need more than family letters etc though.

Let us know how you get on.

Milliemoo

Hi Wiggy

You are absolutely right if you can prove that you and your partner have been together for at least twelve months they will issue you a 2 year working visa. If you can't prove twelve months but at least some significant time then they will offer you a 1 yr working visa.

i believe there are issues with each, for a 2 year work visa NZIS require medicals or maybe just a chest x-ray but that's something that will be a cost to you. 1 year work visas don't require that but also they don't entitle you to any NZ health benefits!

I called NZIS about the requirements for proving partnership as I have an NZ partner of a couple of years but we just don't have enough significant evidence to prove our relationship. They told me that useful evidence was anything to do with joint tenancy agreements or joint bank accounts, failing that letters addressed to the same address and letters from friends in respectable jobs (teachers, doctors, lawyers etc) claiming that you two have a long relationship will help.

Anyway I am wittering on and all i need to say is that I think at the very least you will be enititled to a one yr work visa. If time is an issue and getting to NZ to be together is of paramount importance then apply for the work visa it has to be cheaper then PR! And then if you live together for one year in NZ then it will be pretty simple to apply for PR off the back of that. (Make sure as soon as you get there you do stuff like set up joint bank accounts and put your name on any lease agreements -this was the advice I got from NZIS)

Sorry for the length of this post have had 2 glasses of wine tonight and know I should be able to be more succinct but am just failing!!!

Good luck
    Feathers

Thats brilliant! Thanks for all the good advice. I think I still will give NZIS a ring judt to confirm lengths of application times etc. Can I also ask if anyone knows what will happen with relation to when the Work Visa starts? Will it be the day I receive it, when I enter NZ or will I have to supply a date to NZIS when I intend to enter NZ?

Thanks to everyone or took the time to help me out here. It really is a great forum

Wiggy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast