Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about sending cats to NZ

Default Question about sending cats to NZ

First of all I want to say thanks again for all the helpful and informative posts on this board - I really don't know what I'd have done if I hadn't found this forum - probably reading the NZIS website 24 hours a day and weeping copiously.

Having read so many of the threads here I thought I had a pretty good idea of what to do in order to send my cats to NZ. I have contacted both Airpets and Golden Arrow to get quotes for sending my two cats to NZ later this year, but having received the quote from Golden Arrow there's something I'm confused about. The quote mentions boarding the cats with them prior to departure, which I thought was just for convenience, but then in the details it mentions the tests and treatments that would be done while the cats were boarded there.

So, my question is: do the cats have to go to the pet shippers three days before departure? Or could I get my own vet to do those tests and treatments and just take the cats along to the shipper on the day they fly?

Part of the reason I'm confused is because the info I got from Airpets didn't mention boarding before the trip. Or maybe they did and I missed it. Or maybe I'm just being really stupid!

Anyway, I'd be grateful for any info.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Jo Jo; 6th March 2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo

Hi Jo,

I'm not 100 % sure - sorry!. For what its worth, I think Golden Arrow like them 48 hrs beforehand as they treat them for certain things (according to the paperwork I got when Olive arrived anyway - I think she was treated with two or three things, but all with unprounounable names that I've never heard of).

I think they have a specific vet they use, so they're happy that everything is in perfect order as I think MAF are pretty picky about this sort of stuff, - so if they use their own vet, they know its been done correctly as their vet will be doing several every week. I guess you'd just have to ask them and/or airpets whether you could get that done at your vet...

I think GA also like to start getting the Cat used to their travel crate etc..Anyway, best of luck whatever you choose. p.s if you choose to drop your cat off to Golden Arrow - its a fabulous place, but the track is a little scary (I was wishing my little peugeot 106 was a 4 x 4

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    I guess you'd just have to ask them and/or airpets whether you could get that done at your vet
    That's good advice. I'm not sure I'd be happy to let them treat my kitty without knowing exactly what's involved, and I'd rather anything traumatic was done by my own vet, with me there to provide reassurance.

Good luck, hope the cats have a smooth journey.

Lightbulb

Hello Jo Jo,

we have 3 cats and asked many places for the cost. the best one for us was petexports and they were quite helpfull. but none of the shippers mentioned this. on the contrary most of them stated that the cats could be brought 4 hours before the take off. Of course they wrote if we want, they can arrange accomadation for extra charge.

Good luck

Thanks for your replies. I was panicking last night, as this was something I'd not even thought of. I will call Golden Arrow and Airpets to find out what has to be done, and what's recommended. (I find I start worrying about these things at night when I can't call who I need to call to find out the answers and want to know the answers RIGHT NOW!!!)

Hi Jo, I have made a separate post on my experience of shipping my two mogs. It is at http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....highlight=jo_b (if that doesn't work just put my username into the search box and all my posts come up).

I did all the tests via my vet at home and took my cats to the AirSupply office on the morning of departure. There are certain vet checks that happen at the airport, but that it just before departure and will be taken care of regardless of which agent you use.

Hope that helps.

Jo

OK, really dumb question, but I'm worried about my jazz kitties...I have NO CLUE how this all works (my OH is currently handling paperwork with vets, scheduling tests, etc., since I did the bulk of EOI and ITA)....

....So, while they are in transport, where are they on the plane? How do they secure their boxes/crates?

What do they do about food/water/going potty?

Did you worry about the noise scaring them?

Cats get so nervous about new environments. I hope they just tune it out and sleep through most of it!

Christine

Hi Christine,

The info I've received from Golden Arrow says that pets are transported in the hold, which is pressurised, and on Air NZ is kept at a temperature of 65 degrees. Pets have a water bowl inside the container that can be filled from the outside of the container. Shredded paper is used as bedding. Animals are fed prior to flying, but not while they are in transit. They are checked at stop-overs, and given more water.

I don't know yet about how the containers are sealed, but someone on here posted pics of their dog's container - if I remember where I saw it, I'll post the link.

HTH

Hi again, here's a link to Willsken's thread with pics of their dog on arrival http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9828.

Thank you so much. This helps a lot. I know cats need water to survive moreso than dogs, but the thought of any pet going that long with no water was paining me terribly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast